Ozrat pis-Syd week-end

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Linz

Reaction score
I wasn't sure where to post this notice, but here is an invite for all that are interested.

Things have motored along today.
The Ozrat Pis-Syd Week-end
Date April 4-5-6( fri-sat-sun)
Accom is OK $59 a room per night(up to 3 people)
Breakky $6(buffet)
Leon will do some brews in his shop and if a few bring their rigs
along we can do a couple of brews.
Also if there is something special someone wants Email him and he'll
get it in ( leon@e...) I think?
Fri Check in after midday
Fri Night "Real Ale night" at The Nag's Head in Glebe
Sat Morn Breakky at hotel for out of towners
Sat 10 am Leon's ESB Randwick( Mash brewing and maybe some brews)
Sat Night Meet at The Australian and move up to The Lord Nelson
Sun check out by 10am for those leaving on the Sunday
Sun after 10am (Hopefully) a tour thru the St Peters brewery.

:D

Hmmm.

I wonder :huh:

I'm *considering* a holiday around that time :)

Will the transport between venues be provided ?

Sounds like a great a weekend. I hope it all goes well. (Is anyone really going to be out of bed by 10 in the morning? )

Leon won't know what's hit him - will the ESB activity be part of Leon's regular demo or is this a special event?

If you're at the Rocks on Saturday night it's worth popping into the lowenbrau - lovely German beers on tap (and a terrific lunchtime buffet - meat as far as the eye can see ;-).

Don't forget to post a report to the list - be interested to hear how it goes.

cheers
reg

Firstly ,
kook; the transport provided will be courtesy of the state, also known as Public. NO drinking and Driving.A railway station is a good/flat 10 min walk or you can catch a bus for 1 or 2 stops to the station. That will take you to the city/rocks.
The brewery that "Hopefully" you will tour is around the corner from the motel.
Leon's is the trick I haven't worked out as yet

Next
Reg, I've already spoken to Leon and arranged this.Leon, in his generosity is going to put on a special brew day for us.And maybe the odd brew too
Being up at 10am......well :wacko:
The crawl was suggested by another attendee. Maybe it is something to be discussed on the night.(Lowenbrau)

POST IT!!!! we WANT you to be there.

Those of you wishing to book a room, it's at the Formule1 motel at
St Peters on the Princes Hwy.The motel is borded by KFC and Maccas
either side and walk/bus ride down King St will provide you with
many choices of cafes and restaurants.
As the accom will cost $120.00(for Fri-Sat night only)I'll book your
room when I recieve a postal money order as I don't want to be left
in the lurch losing money on wasted deposits.
Also if you intend to come along let me know before the 7th of March
so I can sprout forth about the number attending to the owner of the
brewery as to get the tour off the ground or else we can all stand
outside the CUB brewery on Broadway and go "OOOOOOOO" together

Time is of the essence

Linz

I once contacted CUB to see if they ran tours through the Broadway complex. At that time they didn't - don't know if that's changed. It's such a huge site - would be fascinating to watch an industrial brewing process on such a large scale.

Whatever people may think of mainstream Australian ale, I reckon it's better than what I've tasted from the US - and it's a miracle of technique to be able to replicate the same recipe within such precise parameters.

cheers
reg

I used to live in Chippendale (behind the CUB Broadway brewery) and they used to do a tour every 18 months for local residents. I believe this was partly keep the residents involved as to what was happening their and to keep them happy as the brewery generates some smells (that I love but the wife hates :D ). mmmm can still remember the smell of the mash when I used to get off the bus in the afternoon in summer.

At the end of the tour they would take us to their on site bar and give us finger food and open the taps. Any beer they didn't have on tap they had available in bottles.

I lived there few a number of years and did a few tours for the residents, and the best thing to see was the bottling line at full steam. Absolutely amazing. If you ever get the chance to do a tour that is the bit worth seeing most. It is also interesting to see how the brewery has evolved as some parts are quite historic.

Cheers,
Doc

Linz, I'm pretty sure i'll be coming along to this. I've tentatively booked leave, I've just got to confirm airfares etc. I'll let you know before the 7th for the St Peters numbers.

I'll book my own accom at the Formule1 as I'm planning on staying for a week rather than just the weekend.

Aprox how many people are going along to this?
And just out of curiosity, whats "ozrat" ? :)

edit - one other thing, according to whereis.com.au the Formule1 motel is opposite, or next to (not sure which) a "waste treatment plant"..... Is anyone familiar with st peters? Does it stink there? hehe :huh:

edit again - airfare there booked.. i'll be there :)

I work just behing CUB brewry at the moment - get lovely malty breezes when it's a NorEaster :D

While I wont be staying at the Formula 1 - only live 30mins from there - I would love to meet up and expecially catch the CUb tour (if it happens).

Kook, as far as St Peters smelling, I have never noticed anything while driving through on my way home. The waste treatment plant is more of a metal recycling plant (as far as I can see) so no real smells :D

It to want to know what 'OzRats' is/are?

Ok, here is the quick version of OzRat.

There is a brew site in the US run by Scott Abene. Link
They call themselves Brew Rats.
Scotts intenet handle (or one of them) is SkotRat.
That site has a chat room that is frequented by home brewers.
Nightly around 8-10:30 AEST there are a number of Aussie Home Brewers on the chat.
They call themselves OzRats.

The pissup weekend has some of those guys coming and meeting up. Hence OzRats Sydney Fest.

Here endeth the lesson

Cheers,
Doc

TAA DAA

The doctor has fixed it up again

Linz :p

Doc said:
Nightly around 8-10:30 AEST there are a number of Aussie Home Brewers on the chat.
They call themselves OzRats.
.....and why aren't they here :p

Do CUB do a tour? I might contact them from a Home Brewers website/forum group to see if we can get a tour - I think that would be amzing!!

The brewery tour that Linz is trying to organise is the St Peters brewery at St. Peters. This is where the ESB kits are made.

Last night Face, Brew Brad, Blue and Linz were all on the chat but everyone was gone by about 9:30pm.

Cheers,
Doc

I'm going to be in Sydney that weekend by the looks of things for a Friday night thing.

Is it possible to join from Saturday onwards?

Wasabi

Wasabi,
Absolutely,I won't be at the Friday night at the Nag's head as it's my wife's birthday that day, but both of us will be at the Australia/n Hotel at the Rocks on the Saturday night.
We'll probably get together on the Sat morning o/side the F1 hotel before tracking to Leon's for the mashing.
Still enquiring about the St Peters tour

Linz :D

Linz,

Then count me in as an absolute definate! I won't need any accomodation though, but otherwise I'd love to tag along.

What sort of group size were you looking at? I have 1 or two friends who might be interested if you need numbers, but I realise you probably don't want to blow it out to unmanageable numbers.

Wasabi.

Wasabi,
Great that you can join us and bring your friends along. I don't know exactly how many people there's going to be as most of the Sydney based people are still deciding I think.
I prefer to shoot for quality rather than quantity.When the time rolls around I reckon people will come out of the woodwork. :huh:

Well guys and gals,
the time is drawing nigh for the Ozrats pis-Syd weekend. The latest update is everything normal so far except for the tour through the St Peters brewery. Unfortunately we got a "sorry we can't".
The upside is I secured a phone number from him for The Malt Shovel Brewery and am awaiting an answer for a walk thruogh.
I'll let you all know as soon as I get an answer. Any other suggestions in case we get another knockback?

Linz

Good to hear its coming along, sad about the St Peters brewery, but oh well. Hopefully MSB will come through.

I leave on a plane to Syd on the 29th, arrive on the 30th :)

Any new news? How is everyone going to meet up at the hotel on Friday? Is there a designated meeting place there or something?..

Also, one suggestion regarding the Sunday, if we cant get any brewery tour arranged maybe lunch at Lowenbrau Kellar? Or at Epoque (belgian beer cafe)?

Back