Oz Brew History

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

spog

The Odd Drop Brewery
Reaction score
evnin all, came across this article in the adelaide advertiser in thursdays paper, it was a query re the origins of brewing in oz , and is as follows.the first recorded details brewing were by a john boston, a free settler who arrived in sydney in 1794. but the beer was a poor product and production soon ceased. in the same year, the first commercial brewery was established at kissing point. the first and last government brewery established in parramatta in 1804,marked the start of the industry in oz. however this was also a financial failure and was bought by the government brewer,thomas rushton, in 1806. by the time john tooth and charles newman opened thier kent brewery in october 1835, there were 9 other breweries in sydney. meanwhile,tasmania's cascade in hobart which was established in 1824 has the distinction of being the home of australia's oldest still operating brewery. south australias first brewer was john warren,who built a small brewery in adelaide soon after the colony began in 1836. western australia's first brewery started in perth in 1837 ,while melbourne' first brewery was established in 1838 by john moss at the back of the ship inn in flinders street. the first brewery in queensland was established in 1860. . so here is an idea research in your local area,see what you can dig up,or even google it.post your findings so we can all learn a bit more. :beer: cheers spog idea being1806. thomas rushton

Nice summary of history, but I would have though that James Squire should be in there somewhere.

Beers,
Doc

I've got a Michael Jackson book " world guide to beer", it provides a detailed history of brewing in Australia. Too much to recite on the forum, but the figures above a pretty constant with whats in the book. Will post info if there is enough interest.

I think the Foster brothers (Americans) are also worth a mention.
Apparantly they introduced this new fangled refridgeration thingy into Australian brewing, then buggered off when they had made a quid out of it all.

Can anyone shed some light on this one?

There is a street in Ryde named after James Squire. His very large house still stands just off Victoria Rd. My sisters' father in law still lives in Squire St. His home brew is awfull. the Ryde historical mob have pics from the early 1930's that still show the Squires Brewery?!? It was long after brewing stopped but the building was still there. If you are driving north over the Ryde Bridge look to your left, that is where James Squire was supposed to be doing his thing.
Cheers
Gerard

Dart off to the bookshop or your library and read "The Breweries of Australia: A History" by Keith M. Deutscher.
A terrific read.

I've borrowed that one from the Regency TAFE library before. Good book.

for SA history the book 'jolly old and ale' which is a history of the coopers brewery is very good, i have it but lent it to someone here on the forum and have no idea of its wearabouts ATM. Anyway, that not only tells the story of coopers but of everything brew related that ever happened in SA. The time line looks as you would expect going up to the a certain period there are quite a lot of breweries which all died pretty much around the same time and left the two remaining ones we have today.
If your interested in beer history than this book you'll find is outstanding. I was mesmerized from front cover to back and you can imagine youself there. It is written extremely well and covers alot of the production techinquies though the years which you proberly wouldn't expect from such a book.
If any of you SAingtons are ready this and have my book i'd love it back.

Immigrant song
Jayse

Vlad the Pale Aler said:
I think the Foster brothers (Americans) are also worth a mention.
Apparantly they introduced this new fangled refridgeration thingy into Australian brewing, then buggered off when they had made a quid out of it all.

Can anyone shed some light on this one?
[post="78830"][/post]​

The Foster brothers were a little later, in 1886. There is a history on the CUB website:

http://www.fosters.com.au/enjoy/beer/brand_heritage.htm

Recommended read if you can get your hands on it is Amber Nectar, A Celebration of Beer and Brewing in Australia. Author; Keith Dunstan.

Goes into brewing history in Victoria and has loads on CUB Foster Brothers etc. Gets a little too CUB-centric toward the end. Early stuff is great and a lot of old brewery label pics too.

Brad's recommendation of Breweries of Australia: A History is a good 'un too.

Warren -

Hey Jayse,
You were going to be lending me that book on the night that we had the piss up... I mean brew gathering at Grumpy's while Batz was down. However, I was going on to the bucks show in the city, so I got Chiller to take it home, and I was supposed to pick it up from him at the next minifloc's, which I haven't done, so Chiller is probably the most likely holder of the book???

Hey Boots,
Ill grab it from you when Jayse gets it from Chiller and passes it onto you. :blink: If thats OK Jayse. ;)

roach

Thats deffinetly were i saw it last boots, things got pretty messy by the end of the nite :chug:
Its all yours after boots roach, it is a great read.

Jayse