Oyster Stout - James Squire Brewhouse Syd

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

If you got the keys a Microbrewery and could brew anything you wanted, what would you brew ?

• Your house ale

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Your house lager

• Your biggest, most imperial hop monster

• Something that would endear you as the creator of a new beerstyle

• Other

• Total voters

Doc

Doctor's Orders Brewing
Reaction score
There is a great article by Willie Simpson in the SMH Good Living section today.
Willie gets to brew whatever he wants on the new microbrewery and writes about it in his column online here

I know where I'll be on the 19th for a few samples.

Beers,
Doc

Have you seen that they are putting out a summer ale soon?
The Friendship pale Ale on tap there isn't too bad either, bit like Coopers PA, the Stout sounds like it should be excellent.
What a lucky bugger Willie is!

I've now attached a poll to this topic.
If you got the keys to a Micro like Willie did, what would you brew ?

I think I'd brew something like my Imperial Vanilla Bourbon Porter or my Saison.

Beers,
Doc

Yep, it is a great article Doc. What an opportunity! Good to see it go to a bloke who obviously has some idea of what he's doing as well - not just some journo with no idea at all. The beer may or may not come out well, like any experimental brew, but it was an interesting idea well executed by the sound of it! I'd love to be there to try it out. Make sure you let us non-Sydneysiders know how it tastes.

Shawn.

Oh, I voted for the hop monster beer by the way. I know I wouldn't be able to help myself :p Might even try some of those new hops he was talking about...

When I get the keys to a micro brewery. :D
I voted for 'other' as my ego is not quite big enough to vote for 'creator of whatever'.
have the gravity right up around 1.065 in a dark amber to brown ale with a english ale yeast with lots of hops but very well balanced. Medium to full body, American hops but keep the IBU around 45IBU.
Almost 80% of all my beers are based around this type beer.
Either that or sell out and make a tame beer! :blink: .......NOT :ph34r:
I wouldn't be game enough to be throwing oysters into my first 1300 litre batch. :blink:

Great stuff, i'll remember to bring my own belt for the mill so we can be done well before 8pm. :eek:

Jayse

13 oysters in HM litres?

I am thinking of brewing an oyster stout myself next year, think 12 oysters in 23L batch will be good.

Good idea to put the oysters in a (hop) bag so you can eat the oysters afterwards! Alternatively, make an oyster broth, add the broth to the wort and eat the oysters (add them to a pizza or seafood soup, etc.) I did email the Isle of Wight brewery that makes oyster stout re oyster/Litre of wort ratios but never got a reply.

Jovial Monk

My local brew on premises place release a number of beers under their own name of "Dark Isle Brewery". This is where I buy my grain, but they only make their beers from extract which shows and is a little disappointing. Anyway, we have the odd brew day out there where a bunch of blokes bring their systems along and brew a batch of beer. When I was out there last the tested a new oyster stout they had made on us, wasn't too bad. Don't know how much I could drink of it but it was something different, salty and stouty. There was a subtle hint of oyster there but I forget how much they added. If I remember when I'm out there next I'll ask.

FWIW I wouldn't make a big batch. Maybe try brewing a stout and then splitting your preboil volume into two kettles (or do one after the other) and make one an oyster stout and make the other a lovely ordinary stout.

Cheers, Justin

I tried the Dark isle Oyster Stout at the National Festival of Beers and even after 3 hours of drinking,and with a very fatigued palate, I thought it was in the top 3 beers I tried on the night. It was very interesting - salty, slightly smokey, seafood, malty. It was very nice.

- Snow

Hmmm if I had the whole micro which beer would I want to share with hundreds of other people...A dunkelweizen perhaps, a style not often seen on tap here.

had to vote for the hop monster as i think thats what is missing from this side of the equator. heh!
but as soon as that was down, a nice english pale ale. it'd be a while before i started putting out a lager and when/if i did, id like to try a doppelbock!! no wussy pale lager for me.
joe

Nice article by Willie Simpson - and the brew length is 800ltrs not 1300 just BTW. We spent today connecting electrical wiring and stainless steel plumbing for Sydneys second CBD micro at the Macquarie Hotel. Official opening will be early December with the first brew due to go down in about 2 weeks.

Sydney is movin on! - finally.

Wes

what a top read.two points come to mind.A29 sounds like an interesting hop and who now has thoughts of brewing an oyster stout?
i have so its now on my to do list

cheers
big d

big d, don't you have fresh oysters out the front of your house? would make it nice and easy to make the stout :)

edit : i voted other, what that would be, i have no clue, just that my house ale is very similar to coopers pa etc, so no real excitment there. maybe my porter or an oatmeal stout

Nah! bigd as cool as it may sound the oysters will stay out for now.
Wes i was just guessing as to the brew length.
Tom? broth? jeez half the experience is boiling them in wort isn't it? :ph34r:
i would just chuck them straight in then after the wort has run through the chiller collect the oysters and rinse them in the last litre of hot wort from the kettle and munch away while drinking a glass of fresh wort.
hey would smoked malt work in this brew? i think anything would work in this brew!

Jayse :chug:

My beer: A hefeweizen most likely-as others have mentioned there is little like it here so I'd do something a bit different. I'd like to give that lauter tun a good working out and try and plug that lauter tun right up with wheat malt and then go to the owner and say "I think I broke your system, the beer wont flow. I've got 800L of hot wort stuck in that tank and it wont come out :D " and see what his response is ;) :p

Either that or a Kolsch. Another style we don't see too much of.

Jovial_Monk said:
13 oysters in HM litres?

I am thinking of brewing an oyster stout myself next year, think 12 oysters in 23L batch will be good.

Good idea to put the oysters in a (hop) bag so you can eat the oysters afterwards! Alternatively, make an oyster broth, add the broth to the wort and eat the oysters (add them to a pizza or seafood soup, etc.) I did email the Isle of Wight brewery that makes oyster stout re oyster/Litre of wort ratios but never got a reply.

Jovial Monk
Try priming at a rate of one oyster per longneck and one-half per stubby.

Due to be on tap tomorrow.
Thought I'd better make sure it was flowing before heading down tomorrow.

It'll be another week or so.

Bugger. The wait continues at JS Brewhouse is Sydney

Had a taste of the oyster stout at James Squires. Lovely roasty stout, I could only detect a mild oyster aroma, no oyster flavour or after taste. It goes on sale on Monday, they have it on tap now and were giving small samples if you enquired. Would like to see if you can detect the oysters by drinking a pint :)

yikes! oyster flavoured beer.

Must be an aquired taste. :)

I know where I'm going for lunch on Monday :D

Doc

Back