Oxygenating the wort

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
practicalfool said:
3e0f655d.jpg

No elbow grease involved in this one :)
Holy crap, those things actually have a use!

JasonP said:
and another question....... if the starter is really well aerated, how well does the unfermentated wort have to be aerated?

JasonP said:
has anyone got a DO meter or ever tested their wort? They are expansive - always thought that they were $0000s but looks like you can get a Hanna DO meter for $500 which sounds suitable for homebrew use. Anyone use them care to share any advice?
I can think many other things to spend $500 bucks on first.
JasonP said:
and another question....... if the starter is really well aerated, how well does the unfermentated wort have to be aerated?
You should do both as you still need growth in the fermenter. Stirring is sufficient for starter.

Black n Tan said:
I can think many other things to spend $500 bucks on first.
You should do both as you still need growth in the fermenter. Stirring is sufficient for starter.
Yeah I know - but $500 is a lot cheaper than what I was originally told. Would be good to use just to see how much O2 has been dissolved. Was thinking of getting a couple guys together and sharing.

I know you need to aerate both, but wonder if you aerate the starter to buggery (which is obviously much easier) and then would splashing around in the fementor be enough?

If you're doing K&K stuff and not doing full volume boils, the tap water used will be aerated enough for most beers you will do. If you have to boil or RO you're water before using in your K&K then yeah aerating is much more important.

Some eperimentation with a DO meter here.

Edit - one day I will get BB Code, one day.

Some dried yeast are manufactured so that the wort doesn't need aeration . IIRC Lallemand yeasts are the ones.

You want to aerate your starter as much as possible to get good healthy yeast numbers, best to decant this off prior to pitching ( taste it to find out why). The wort will still require aeration, can't see how the starters aeration can have any effect on wort.

seamad said:
Some dried yeast are manufactured so that the wort doesn't need aeration . IIRC Lallemand yeasts are the ones.

You want to aerate your starter as much as possible to get good healthy yeast numbers, best to decant this off prior to pitching ( taste it to find out why). The wort will still require aeration, can't see how the starters aeration can have any effect on wort.
Oxygen is required for yeast growth, so the point of my question was if the starter was well aerated therefore plenty of yeast growth, how important is aerating the wort? Its just a question.... i have no idea, but guessing a well aerated started would mean more yeast being pitched onto into the fermentor therefore wort aeration not as important. But interested to hear people's thoughts.

I'll put it to you not to worry about the fancy gear. The difference between ok and full oxygen levels in the wort you won't be able to pick up in the final product unless you have some super duper taste buds.

Been reading a few articles recently and a couple have mentioned, on the subject of aeration/ oxygenation of the wort, 'the trend to oxygenate the yeast'. I have had a search and found Pro Brewer had a mention of some craft brewers in Germany oxygenating the yeast prior to pitching and not aerating oxygenating the wort. Anyone else read anything about this?

g'day wide, if you go to the website, into experiments and search Wort Oxygen they do this one and also do a comparision between pure Oxy and just shaking it up. The website is not bad reading but considering I think they are just Home Brewers like us

g'day wide, if you go to the website, into experiments and search Wort Oxygen they do this one and also do a comparision between pure Oxy and just shaking it up. The website is not bad reading but considering I think they are just Home Brewers like us
Home brewers like us, yes, but have you noticed they take up controversial position, reason being, money$ Every hit on that site creates an income, I am the last person to complain about someone making a dollar, and I am not complaining, good luck to them. But take the science (reason) behind it with a couple of pinches of salt.

Home brewers like us, yes, but have you noticed they take up controversial position, reason being, money$ Every hit on that site creates an income, I am the last person to complain about someone making a dollar, and I am not complaining, good luck to them. But take the science (reason) behind it with a couple of pinches of salt.
Yep America the land of opportunity, I doubt a lot of what is available there but some interesting reading to be had. I prefer to use forums like this one as it gets the ideas flowing then we can all learn off each other

Latest posts

Back