Oxygen Bottles - Who Has O2?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hando

Reaction score
Who has oxygen for their yeast propogation?
Where did you get your oxy bottle from?
Is it a worthwhile expense, or do stirplates work well enough without the hassle and added cost of O2?

I know I will get flamed for this but, I know and have seen incredible results from using oxygen for aerating wort prior to pitching and for yeast propergation........BUT.....IMO.......I would not bother. I use to use a aquarium pump and a fine metal airstone, but for my last 100 or so brews I have not bothered aerating at all, apart from tranfering from the kettle to the fermenter.
I will say that I did make a stir plate and that does come in handy for firing up stored yeast slurry prior to pitching.
But I am sure there will a million opinions about to come in. SO HANG ON.

I have one of the red disposable 02 bottles with the adaptor / airstone kit from morebeer in the US. I do a lot of APAs with the same grainbill and process (just vary the hops) and found I get a couple more points attenuation with a 60 second dose of oxygen at pitching. What used to be 1.050 down to 1.012 like clockwork now comes down to 1.010. I've never used an aquarium pump but it does seem to drive the fermentation a bit further than just shaking the fermenter.

Where it makes the biggest difference is in the health of the yeast for repitching according to info I've read and a podcast interview with the brothers from White Labs.

Edit: spulling

I have access to a shit load of oxy (bottle pods - 12 bottles) but I've never used it.
Maybe if I get a chance to brew soon I might run a line upto the mezzanine and give it a whirl.

I used to use an aquarium pump but in all honesty found it more hassle than it was worth.

I have one of the red disposable 02 bottles with the adaptor / airstone kit from morebeer in the US. I do a lot of APAs with the same grainbill and process (just vary the hops) and found I get a couple more points attenuation with a 60 second dose of oxygen at pitching. What used to be 1.050 down to 1.012 like clockwork now comes down to 1.010. I've never used an aquarium pump but it does seem to drive the fermentation a bit further than just shaking the fermenter.

Where it makes the biggest difference is in the health of the yeast for repitching according to info I've read and a podcast interview with the brothers from White Labs.

Edit: spulling
So u just bought the little reg from the US and use it with one of those red Benzo....... disposable bottles?

So u just bought the little reg from the US and use it with one of those red Benzo....... disposable bottles?

Exactly. Masters has the bottles on the shelf, Bunnings can order them in.

Anyone got a non-disposable/reuseable bottle option?

What are the red benzo bottles?
What shop is masters?

Back