Oxygen barrier caps and purging bottles

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RegBadgery

Reaction score
That thread on sterilising crown caps made me wonder if anyone has used oxygen absorbing crown caps, or even if they're available in Australia.

eg.
http://www.stpats.com/cappers.htm

Also wondering if anyone purges their bottles with CO2 at bottling time.

cheers
reg

I have heard of people who leave the bottle open for about three or four minutes prior to capping them to allow the CO2 already in suspension from the primary fermentation to be released (caused by the action of filling the bottle). This is supposed to purge most of the air out of the bottle, as the heavier CO2 forms the needed "cushion" over the surface of the brew. I don't practise this myself, as in my experience there is not enough O2 in the small amount of headspace to worry about oxidation. Still, to each their own.

Cheers,
Pete

:chug:

That's interesting - the way I bottle I fill them all then cap all at once, so most probably sit open for a few minutes at least anyway.

But then I suppose that when you fill a bottle it's mixing with air in the bottle anyway.

cheers
reg

That's interesting - the way I bottle I fill them all then cap all at once, so most probably sit open for a few minutes at least anyway.

But then I suppose that when you fill a bottle it's mixing with air in the bottle anyway.

cheers
reg

I do the same. I fill all my bottles, but put a crown cap loosely on them to stop dirt or foreign objects getting in, then cap them once they are all filled.

I do the same. I fill all my bottles, but put a crown cap loosely on them to stop dirt or foreign objects getting in, then cap them once they are all filled.

ditto

Wow, something posted on Boxing Day 2002 suddenly becomes relevant 5 years later.

Latest posts

Back