Oxidation Problem

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Truman42

Reaction score
Ive never had an oxidation issue before, that I could detect anyway. I just recently brewed a stone and wood clone and every sample I tried tasted like wet cardboard. My son actually noticed it as well. At first I thought it was the yeast still in suspension but after cold crashing it’s still there.

Now I have to confess that I was testing out my new ISpindel in this beer and took it out of the fermenter and back in again at least 5-6 times. But....it was on day one before fermentation had started and day two when I had a krausen layer already formed. I would have thought being this early the yeast would use up any oxygen in the beer.

But that’s the only thing I did different as I’ve never opened the lid on a fermenter before other than to dry hop a few days later. Would that cause oxidation even so early into fermentation?

Oxidation may taste like wet paper or cardboard when in its initial phase, but can take on sherry-like or wine-like flavors with aging. Styles like the English Old Ale or Barleywine call for these kinds of flavors, while they are not appropriate in many other beer styles.

What yeast was used, this maybe part of the issue? O2 early is always good.

Oxidation may taste like wet paper or cardboard when in its initial phase, but can take on sherry-like or wine-like flavors with aging. Styles like the English Old Ale or Barleywine call for these kinds of flavors, while they are not appropriate in many other beer styles.

What yeast was used, this maybe part of the issue? O2 early is always good.
I used a slurry of US05 that I had in the fridge from a previous batch. Poured off the beer and let it come up to temp before pitching.

Could it also be a wheat kind if taste? That’s what I initially thought. Here is the grain bill.

Attachments

• 2D62643B-4294-4E0E-A89C-BC8B0B46A7D4.jpeg
    2D62643B-4294-4E0E-A89C-BC8B0B46A7D4.jpeg
    177.6 KB · Views: 101
I've definitely tasted the same "cardboard" taste in a couple different S & W clones... How long after brewing were you detecting the flavour? Is it a slightly dusty kind of flavour/texture?
I am leaning towards a wheat/05' thing if your process is usually solid and there isn't much time elapsed between packaging and the taste.

I've definitely tasted the same "cardboard" taste in a couple different S & W clones... How long after brewing were you detecting the flavour? Is it a slightly dusty kind of flavour/texture?
I am leaning towards a wheat/05' thing if your process is usually solid and there isn't much time elapsed between packaging and the taste.
It was around day 5 of fermentation and a then again now as its cold crashing 10 days after pitching.

Actually dusty would be a good way to describe it. Ive just never had this in a wheat beer before.

I havent kegged it yet so maybe it will mellow out by the time I keg it and let it carb up.

I'd say either flaked wheat or it's the dreaded 'grassiness' from galaxy hops which you'll see people talk about in the S/W clone threads of the past.
Do you only get this "Grassiness" from the dry hopped galaxy? As we noticed it even before dry hopping. Its certainly not as strong a flavour now as its been cold crashing at 2C for 4 days but is still there.

"Grassiness" from the dry hopped galaxy

Unfortunately no - I've had it from late additions as well.

It's also a hop that crates an intense astringent bitterness if used as a bittering hop or too early in the boil.

Last edited:

It's also a hop that crates an intense astringent bitterness if used as a bittering hop or too early in the boil.
Oh ok. Well I will just have to keg it and let it age and see how it turns out. Thanks for the help.

You'll pick up some sweetness from the carbonation which will help to balance it out.

Sweetness from carbonation? I would have thought if anything carbonation would increase the perceived bitterness side of things (carbonic acid), ie- opposite to increasing the perception of sweetness?

Can you elaborate a bit more please BB..

That's interesting, I've used a shed load of galaxy over the years as both a bittering addition, late hop and dry hop and have never had an issue with astringency or grassiness. Having said that, I only ever use a very small bittering addition (maybe 20% of the total IBUs) with the remainder coming from big late additions (usually in the cube).

I wish everyone had a copy of The Complete Beer Fault Guide and used it when ever they have a question about a flavour in beer. It might not be the only answer but its a great starting place.
upload_2019-7-13_10-31-28.png

Put a copy on your desk top, great resource.
Mark

Attachments

• Complete_Beer_Fault_Guide.pdf
    454.7 KB · Views: 65
I wish everyone had a copy of The Complete Beer Fault Guide and used it when ever they have a question about a flavour in beer. It might not be the only answer but its a great starting place.
View attachment 116062

Put a copy on your desk top, great resource.
Mark
Cheers Mark, Thats awesome, Thanks for that.

I used a slurry of US05 that I had in the fridge from a previous batch. Poured off the beer and let it come up to temp before pitching.

Could it also be a wheat kind if taste? That’s what I initially thought. Here is the grain bill.
What was the hop bill?

What was the hop bill?
Here is the recipe. Interestingly enough I brewed a NEIPA after this one and it too has the same sort of cardboard or dusty taste although not as noticeable but I also didnt use any flaked wheat, only wheat malt.

The only thing thats changed in my brewery is both these brews were the first fermented in my new chronical (But I did clean it with tricleanium twice and passivated it.). Also both used Gladfiled wheat, but only the Pale ale used flaked wheat as well. Here are the recipes..

Stone and Wood clone
Screen Shot 2019-07-31 at 6.53.56 pm.png

NEIPA

Screen Shot 2019-07-31 at 7.00.21 pm.png

Latest posts

Back