Overshot Sg

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

berto

Reaction score
HI all,
Put down an oktoberfest last night. But just went to take an OG reading and its 1.100 and i have no idea why. I added 4.3kg of grains and 1.7kg of extract. Was by far my biggest partial mash yet. Does anyone have any ideas as to why it could be so high. Theres a lot of settlement on the bottom already from things dropping out of solution ie hops etc etc. But whats going in my hydrometer test jar doesnt seem to have much floating around in it at all.

Any ideas as to how this happened to me?

Cheers, Rob

Maybe stratification in the fermenter . How well did you mix it? If the extract went straight to the bottom the SG there will be higher than at the top.

Chances are your sample wasnt well mixed and the reading is wrong. If you post here what your grains were, whether the extract was dried or liquid, and how many litres in total the brew was, then I'm sure someone will calculate what the sg should have been so you know roughly where it started.

OK well heres the composition.
Mashed 2kg vienna
1kg pilsner
1kg munich
300g light crystal

Single infusion at about 67 degrees, may have been slightly lower.

Then added 1.7kg liquid light extract and boiled for an hour and made up to 24 litres.

Am about to go and stir up a frenzy and see if that makes a difference. Good chance it wasnt mixed right through, the extract was pured to the bottom of the urn and only given a rough stirring, and then poured out through a tap in the bottom.

Original gravity between 1.050 and 1.065 depending on efficiency of the mash, 1.060 would be a good guess.

Thanks lurker, i thought that boiling away happily for an hour would have mixed it through, but appears not. Beersmith gave me a predicted value of 1.062 at 75% efficiency. But after an extremely vicous stir i got 1.066 so im happy with that. On the other hand, the wheat beer i did in the morning i expected 1.050 and got 1.040, so not happy with that effort.

Back