Overheated Fermenter

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mattykbrew

Reaction score
Need some advice!I'm on to my third brew and went out to check the temperature of my beer to find my missus had knocked my heat pad out of the thermostat and went and plugged it back in the wall. She neglected to tell me this till I found it. Anyway, I had it at a nice 20C and found it at 37C, it's been like that for probably about a day. I used US05, can I just buy another packet and put that in there or should I just start again!?

Need some advice!I'm on to my third brew and went out to check the temperature of my beer to find my missus had knocked my heat pad out of the thermostat and went and plugged it back in the wall. She neglected to tell me this till I found it. Anyway, I had it at a nice 20C and found it at 37C, it's been like that for probably about a day. I used US05, can I just buy another packet and put that in there or should I just start again!?

how long into the ferment?

not great... BAD SWMBO

start again springs to mind

How many days into the ferment before the mishap.?
The yeast will endure temperatures as high as that no problem. It will make beer it may not be the greatest but worth running through to make sure.

Turn the missus's iron on to full blast see how she likes it.

4th day into it. Got it set up in a fridge out in the shed so I can switch the thermostat over on a hot day, got the fridge on max to get the temp back down. Gotta buy some more yeast for the next brew so is it worth grabbing another packet of yeast for this brew or just let it go with what's in there?

I think the yeast will be ok,
but I think the beer will be shit!

have a taste, chances are there will be a lot of fossil fuels in it.

QldKev

taste it first mate.. I'd taste it and if not overly funky, bottle it and leave it for 6 months.. you may be lucky..

4 days is better than if @ 2 but yeah... duboius

Try setting it to 18 deg. Much better than 20.

Good chance the brew was almost there if this was 4 days into it. Depends how active the ferment was.

Check the gravity and taste. If its quite low and tastes OK (no sharp tastes when warm), then it might be OK.

Tried it, no sharp flavor to it, actually had a fruity taste to it. gonna see if I can get away with it. Will try leave it in there for a full two weeks and try it again before I bottle it. If no good I'll tip it then

I reckon that as most of your flavour profiles are created in the first 72 hours of fermentation, you may be okay...but then you may not...
Don't throw more yeast at it....
Taste it...see if you could handle drinking 23 litres of the stuff lol....
Might be okay....might be camels piss
Good luck
F

Tried it, no sharp flavor to it, actually had a fruity taste to it. gonna see if I can get away with it. Will try leave it in there for a full two weeks and try it again before I bottle it. If no good I'll tip it then

yeast are very active at high temps, no need to leave it for another 2 weeks or throwing more yeast at it, im guessing its done. if the sg is steady for 3 days(im guessing around 1.010), then bottle it. your brew has come this far - tipping out versus the minor expense of some carb drops/sugar and caps - id be bottling it and see how it turns out.

yeast are very active at high temps, no need to leave it for another 2 weeks or throwing more yeast at it, im guessing its done. if the sg is steady for 3 days(im guessing around 1.010), then bottle it. your brew has come this far - tipping out versus the minor expense of some carb drops/sugar and caps - id be bottling it and see how it turns out.

well id leave it in untill 2 weeks are up give it time to mellow a bit as there would be some wierd flavours going on [maybe] then put the bottles aside and try them around christmas
it will be ok [but try one bottle in a couple weeks anyway]
keep notes of what happened to this brew and take notes at each tasting it will come good unless it gets an infection
and most importantly keep us updated 1 month 6 months ect ect

cheers: HBK

Yeast loves high temperatures; we make it ferment cool for our purposes like we don't let all those widdle chickens fly free into the forest to have chook orgies, but keep them celibate and regimented :( . Now, the yeast will only start producing funky flavours once its "lag" or breeding phase is over and it gets down to fermenting.

However it would almost certainly have entered that phase and there will probably be a fair few esters and fusel oils etc produced by now. That's a reason it's tasting fuity already.

It might be ok, however, as others have posted, suck it and see (literally) :rolleyes:

I never really understood why people are always so keen to dump their beer? The most you have to lose is the 1/2hr that it takes to bottle, and a dollar or two in priming sugar.

I mean really - worst case is you bottle it, leave it for a few months, try it and throw up. :icon_vomit:
Best case your screw up resulted in the best beer ever brewed by anyone, you drink the lot in one night and throw up. :icon_vomit:

Haha, thanks for the input guys, figure I'll bottle it still and take my chances, if it's terrible theres nothing stopping me ditching it later, but I could get lucky. Its a little creatures pale ale style by brewcraft, it's the second batch so I have something to compare it to at least (bottled the last batch Sunday).

You should always force yourself to drink ALL of a stuffed up brew.
That way you will learn not to allow the same thing to happen again.

Back