Over Carbonation

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gossy

Reaction score
G'day guys relatively new to brewing and I've gone straight to kegging I use the 250kpa for two days method but this time a sudden bussiness trip caused me to be away for 3 days rather than 2 now what have I come home to BLOODY HEAD any ideas on a recovery technique

Shake it and release some of the pressure. Another option is a big glass or jug for a coupla days

best bet it to take it out of the fridge and keep letting the gas out the relief valve as you walk past the keg for a day or so depending on how overgassed it is. After that put it back in the fridge chill and see how the carbonation is.

If you leave it in the fridge and bleed the gas out it will take bloody ages to get the gas out. ^_^

Gossy said:
G'day guys relatively new to brewing and I've gone straight to kegging I use the 250kpa for two days method but this time a sudden bussiness trip caused me to be away for 3 days rather than 2 now what have I come home to BLOODY HEAD any ideas on a recovery technique
[post="82187"][/post]​

Another reason for not gassing this way - takes 90 secs max to gas a keg...

http://www.aussiehomebrewer.com/forum/inde...s%20method&st=0

But in answer to your question - just leave the relief valve open & shake when you can to speed the process up...

I started out by connecting my gas at 300kpa for 36 hours on a cold keg, it worked well but it took to bloody long. I started using the Ross method and within an hour I can be drinking from a keg, works well - you just need to make sure you get your timing right otherwise you could end up with an over-carbonated beer and need to start all over again.

I will say leaving the beer connected for 36 hours at 300kpa gave me more consistant results, but the ross way is getting better each time I do it.

I pretty much do the shake rattle and roll aswell. I never have the gas left on at all unless iam rocking a keg or topping up a keg or twos pressure.
Anyway just wanted to share a really nice way I like to do it. If the keg has a reasonable amount of head space and cold then rock at the desired pressure for the beer, which would be around 8-10 psi. 5 or so mins (not sure about the time i just listen to the bubbles :blink: they tell all) rocking it like that I much prefer to 60 secs at three brazillion kpa. If i do it at high pressure which is ussually if the keg is full to the top almost, I do it gently and take a bit of time rocking it back and forward then waiting for the co2 to enter-bubble through and come to pressure then repeat for a few minutes. Its not as short and the 90second shake rattle and roll but i find the more gently I go about it the sooner Iam pouring a perfect pint or ten.
The perfect way to do it if you wanted to leave it on the Co2 for a few days I would say would be leave it at the desired pressure rather than a higher pressure.
You can easily take small samples along the way because it can be hooked up to the beer tap ready to go at anytime and each pour would be perfect.
Which ever way you do it enjoy.

Jayse

I was panicking till I read this thread (thought we were going to have to drink commercial beer for Xmas!)

I had a glass full of head, no beer at all, and when it did settle down the beer was flat.

I left the keg out of the fridge last night for about 5 hours with the release valve chocked open. Whacked it back in the fridge before bed and..........

Perfect beer this morning.

Thanks guys.

This is my first kegfull. It took a couple of days to carbonate properly on 100kpa, but now after about a week or more, it's become over carbonated.

I have it out of the fridge, giving it the shake and release, as recommended earlier in this topic.

In future, once a keg is carbonated to the desirable level, should I turn down the pressure or disconnect the gas when not in use?

I live alone, so I expect each keg to last 2-3 weeks.

Incidentally, it's grouse going to the fridge and pouring a beer with the pluto.

The search term "balanced system" should net you some good results man.

Basically you are looking at a setup where carbonating pressure and serving pressure are the same (takes about 4 days to carbonate a keg though, but at your consumption rate and with two kegs in the fridge it would work out well).

Works great and if your search results aren't good enough I can email you some charts to get you started...they aren't the be all and end all, but they certainly give you somewhere to start :)

PZ.

I had a similar experience with to much head. My system worked fine until I changed my beer lines and got a new fridge. Looking at sites about 'Balanced systems' I found that line length and diameter, as well as temperature affected the carbonation proses.

I bleed the gas from the keg over a couple of days, as advised by others. Also, when I poured a beer I turned the pouring pressure right down. After a couple of days things got better. My pouring pressure is back up to 110kpa.

I'm still looking into balanced systems; it is well worth a look. There is a lot there I wouldnt of given a thought.

Glad to read your beer is now drinkable. :super:

Hope I have helped.

Thanks. It's OK now, but I've taken to closing the shutoff valve when I'm not pouring a beer - just until I can judge the pressure properly. I only have 3 or 4 (425ml) glasses an evening.

Back