"outback Ale"

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nicko

Reaction score
Just made a trip up to Northmead Cellars, g'dam they have a fine selection of beers, particularly english styles & belgium beers.

But i stumbled across this "outback ale" and outback black ale, bought my self a 6 pack, so ill give it a try.

its all natural, bottle conditioned, brewed by a guy apparently for himself, and has just started to brew cuz his friends said it was good.

apparently he also owns a pub.

if anyones interested, its made at

35 dell st, woodpack nsw, 2164

ill let you know how it tastes when i try it tonight

I tried one of these a couple of months ago at a resturant at Glebe. I thought it was pretty ordinary, particularly given that it was priced at about the same as the half decent imported beers.

It was the only beer I had that night as I was driving so I didn't have a washed out palate but it tasted quite thin with little mouthfeel and left a bitter aftertaste that wasn't well balanced.

Mind you, I wonder how long it had been rolling around in the fridge etc so it will be good to haer another report. let us know what you think.

Trev

Verdict:

pretty sure it was infected, bottles were not shaken around at all, yet head foamed everywhere when i cracked open the bottles.

tasted bloody ordinary, no hops, and a seedy kinda taste, 2 of us think its infected, ill take the rest of em back to the shop to taste, then might email the brewer.

not happy at all, that was seedy

Nicko,

Didn't want to post this earlier 'cause I figured I'd just got a one off dodgy bottle, but I bought a bottle of the Outback Ale from my bottlo here in Newcastle about a month ago and had exactly the same thing happen - a gusher. Literally flew out the bottle as soon as I opened it. Also tasted really ordinary - pretty sure it was infected. Maybe it was a bad batch from the brewery? I'd put it down to my bottlo storing it poorly but if you've had the same problem then...

Let me know how you get on.

Shawn.

damn gough, must be a bad batch...

theres no way im drinking anymore of the ones i got. kinda doesnt motivate me to try them again at all.

ill probably head up to the shop tomorrow to return then, ill open one up for the guy up there to show him there is a problem and it tastes like shit.

took 4 of the bottles back, he took my word for it at the shop and exchanged it happily. just got myself a 6pack of DAB original, got it for the stein to add to the collection.

he's gonna contact the brewer, i couldnt talk him into sampling one of them :(

That's good news Nicko and not a bad swap - especially with the Stein. Let me know if you hear anything from him regarding the conversation with the brewer. I've heard from another forum he has some of his beers on tap out Parramatta way and that he's a good bloke and a very keen brewer. Obviously something just went wrong on this occasion and you and I managed to cop the short straw.

Shawn.

Latest posts

Back