Out Of Date Kits

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Silvern

Reaction score
Hi,

I've got a few of the coopers kits lying around. A pale and a 'real' ale and they are well and truly past their use by date as I stopped brewing about two years ago.

I'm in the process of setting up some kegs for the first time and I'm keen to use up some of these old cans to get back into the swing of brewing. Don't mind if I totally stuff them up.

I was thinking of:
- adding a can of light malt extract to one and light wheat extract to the other (prob the pale)
- boiling the bejusus out of them with some hops
- throwing in a little steeped grain extract and finishing hops etc.
- using a fresh yeast (no doubt the old ones are stuffed by now and I never use them anyway)

Reckon I'd get anything drinkable out of this? Of should I just ditch the old cans?

Buy a fresh can, exactly the same type as one you have.

Put together two recipes exactly the same.

Ferment under the same conditions.

See what you reckon.

when I was doing kits, one of the better ways to get good beer was to reach to the back of the shelf and grab the new stock......always seemed to make better beer..probably just placebo though. But still, I wouldn't be brewing with any out of date kits, its just seems like a waste of time to be honest.

Buy a fresh can, exactly the same type as one you have.

Put together two recipes exactly the same.

Ferment under the same conditions.

See what you reckon.

You know I might just take you up on that!

Best case scenario: Two awesome brews.
Worst case scenario: One awesome brew.

Better than what's possible in my proposed situation: Two awful brews.

Also you will know the results for yourself rather than relying on the opinions of internet strangers.

Reckon I'd get anything drinkable out of this? Of should I just ditch the old cans?

"...they are well and truly past their use by date..." I had an attack of tightarse and bought an out of date can recently. It's the only recent can / kit (for me) that has had the funky "homebrew" flavour that no-one can name but everyone knows. Ten years ago I was doing brews that had that funny characteristic sometimes also... Theres too many variables for me to be able to pin it on the can for sure but I'll not do it again.

Incidentally, that flavour / aroma that I notice in bad home-brew is one of the reasons I don't like Stella. Personal taste I know but it seems the same to me. Maybe Stella is where all the out of date cans go to die....

I was resently given a full kit fermenter and all from 2008
All i wanted was the fermenter steriliser hydrometer ETC Come with a wheat beer kit
But i did make the Can Kit + 1kg of LDME with About 1kg of Caramunich Steeped? (all i Had)
With German Halleurtauer 20G @ 20 15 10 5 0 and Dry hopped
Dry Belgian yeast S-33
And it turned out not bad
Thin as a can kit will be But tasty
With all the hops and the yeast in it i reakon i done OK
Hops are your friend in this situation Load up on hops

Edit : i wanted the fermenter to do Cidar

Steep some dark grains and make a stout out of both cans?

Alright guys,

It's on the boil now. 1 can of Coopers Lager, 1 can of Coopers Real Ale, both 2 years and 2 months past their use by dates. Boiled, removed hop oil, then added Briess extra light malt extract.

Brought to boil and then hit with 25g Galaxy for 60 minutes.
Next up, 25g Magnum for 30, then 25g crystal at flame out.

US-05 (no wyeast 1056 unfortunately).

Definitely going to be interesting if nothing else.

someone told me yonks ago that I could basically use extract cans as LME if I boil them up and skim off the foam on the top of the boil. May be an old brewers tale but seems to work?
Malarkey.

You're in for a very bitter beer.

Scraping the top of the boil isn't going to reduce the bitterness of the kits, and the galaxy + magnum additions are going to give you something like another 60 IBU.

I'd consider turning the stove off now.

You're in for a very bitter beer.

Scraping the top of the boil isn't going to reduce the bitterness of the kits, and the galaxy + magnum additions are going to give you something like another 60 IBU.

I'd consider turning the stove off now.
They're out of date. No great loss.
Go hard or go home I say.

For shits 'n' giggles!!!!
View attachment sgiggle.jpg

Back