Our national sport is being played now!

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AJS2154

Reaction score
Just a shout out to all the Aussie based Kiwis who were crowing about the rugby. Australia's national sport is being played now......cricket.

All the kiwis have gone quiet. How are you enjoying the test, guys? Oh, that's right.....you don't really follow cricket....unless it is NZ against the West Indies or Zimbabwe.

It's no longer our national sport..... How many kids in the street playing?
I guess our new national is ipading

4KingAle.

Good point. I was going to play cricket with my kids on the street recently, but by the time we work shopped the wicket, completed our risk assessment and realised we did not have enough hi-vis clothing to go around the playing group, we decided a game of cricket on the Play Station was a better option. Safer too. See you, Anthony

DU99....stick with me mate. This is meant to be a light hearted sledge for our Kiwi cuzzies who love to crow about their national sport, not a historical guide to the game of cricket.

I prefer brockian ultra cricket (a curious game which involves suddenly hitting people for no readily apparent reason and then running away. "Let's be blunt, it's a nasty game," says The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy. Mice love this game. )

whalloping kiwis is our national sport??
i felt it when a kiwi commentator called.... 'he bounced thet one into the dick'.
i could feel the discomfort from my sofa.
nice to see a bit of the gentlemanly sport back in there under smith - no sledging, fair play, appropriate acknowledgement etc. i get a good feeling watching the new team that i'm going to start liking cricket again instead of the snide ego wank that's been going on for the past few years.
feel sorry for the kiwis though - outgunned on this one and not much of a competition thus far.

DU99 said:
After the underarm fiasco....
Yeah. Let's not play cricket because some goose instructed his brother to be a bad sport......34 years ago. I think the use by date might have expired on that incident......or does it have a half life of plutonium, DU99?

Thanks seamad. I love the concept of brockian ultra crickrt. I have occasionaally been playing that sport without knowing it. The random hitting seems familiar.

Haven't been watching it, but looking at the scorecard, why the F did Smith declare with Voges on 83 not out?

And is it just me, or is Mitchell Johnson the spitting image of Freddie Mercury?

As a Pom I'll refrain from making any reference to the ashes, Stuart "L'Oreal" Broad, Trent Bridge and 60 all out.

Whoops, just did

butisitart said:
whalloping kiwis is our national sport??
i felt it when a kiwi commentator called.... 'he bounced thet one into the dick'
feel sorry for the kiwis though - outgunned on this one and not much of a competition thus far.
if you are feeling sorry for the Kiwis at any stage perhaps you should watch some replays of the All Blacks over the past 10 years or so....not much sympathy coming from those guys when they flog us, nor shoukd there be.

For me the kiwis are close alies and ANZACS. Some rivalry is wonderful providing it is in good spirit. This is just banter. Great fun.

AJS2154 said:
if you are feeling sorry for the Kiwis at any stage perhaps you should watch some replays of the All Blacks over the past 10 years or so....not much sympathy coming from those guys when they flog us, nor shoukd there be.

For me the kiwis are close alies and ANZACS. Some rivalry is wonderful providing it is in good spirit. This is just banter. Great fun.
i don't actually feel sorry for them.
i were just being socially responsible. :p

seamad said:
I'm actually suffering from rapid rugby withdrawal, how long before super rugby starts ?
Me too mate. Don't fret, it kicks off again on Frbruary 26 seamad.

I do not envy those boys with the amount of travel they will need to do during the 2016 competition. The inclusion of Japan and Argentina makes an enormous difference. I can't imagine playing, being beaten up and then needing to fly to Japan for a game next week. I think that is asking too much. Their recoveries will be impacted by the 14 plus hours worth of transit.

Who do you follow seamad? Assume you follow the Reds? I am a 'Tahs supporter, but have divided loyalties to the Brumbies too.....so many wonderful players out of that franchise. I cheer for all the Aussie teams, except for when we have a local derby.

Blind Dog said:
As a Pom I'll refrain from making any reference to the ashes, Stuart "L'Oreal" Broad, Trent Bridge and 60 all out.
Tell me about it. Until the Aussies lose the hubris and learn how to play internationally then they will never be the powerhouse they were. They smash teams on relatively one dimensional pitches at home but have no idea how to prepare for tour matches. Lets hope that changes.

Also, not looking forward to the back-slapping jingoism and pointless nostalgia from Heals and Slats and Tubby and Warnie and every other ******* who played for Australia. Remember when they played for Australia. Remember. Just ask them. Or don't. They'll tell you. Over and over again, this summer. Just watch.

Edit: Written by an Australian who remembers better times. Both on the pitch and in the commentary box.

Barge said:
Also, not looking forward to the back-slapping jingoism and pointless nostalgia from Heals and Slats and Tubby and Warnie and every other ******* who played for Australia. Remember when they played for Australia. Remember. Just ask them. Or don't. They'll tell you. Over and over again, this summer. Just watch.
You forgot the worst of the lot Barge. Ian Chapell. He is without doubt the most boring, morose and negative person ever to sit behind a microphone. I have heard about every ball he faced in his 75 test career, every catch and every funny moment that happened......and I have never met him! I liken him to the old bloke down the road who hangs around waiting to bend the ear of some poor, unsuspecting passerby. He is always negative and then repeats his comment 3 more times....or at least I think it is 3 more times.....I fall asleep sometimes.

Yep, Australian cricket commentators are unique. It's a club for self-congratulating wankers.....who talk about their achievements for 8 hours per day.

It could be worse though......ever heard Geoff Lawson on the radio. I lose my will to live within 2 minutes. If he comes on whilst you are driving, pull over and wait until he is off.

Turn the sound down, pop on some Cold Chisel and crack a homebrew. Relax knowing you are missing some pearls from Ian and The Club.

Reds supporter Anthony, been a rough few years, but that's how it rolls. We signed up the Japanese # 15, a very good player, although it looks like Kane Douglas is out from that WC knee injury. Watched a bit of the national comp and the reds have the brisbane 2nd rower who played pretty well.
The expanded comp is going to hurt a bit, but will improve rugby standards even more, the so called minnows at this years WC played better than ever, and will improve more again with the expanded comp.
Looking forward to our local clubs outing in the coming season, only been going 3 years but a very strong family club. Was kicked off by Garrick Morgan ( ex-wallaby) and my son will be U10 this season, so the scrums will start to get a bit more competitive.

AJS2154 said:
You forgot the worst of the lot Barge. Ian Chapell. He is without doubt the most boring, morose and negative person ever to sit behind a microphone. I have heard about every ball he faced in his 75 test career, every catch and every funny moment that happened......and I have never met him! I liken him to the old bloke down the road who hangs around waiting to bend the ear of some poor, unsuspecting passerby. He is always negative and then repeats his comment 3 more times....or at least I think it is 3 more times.....I fall asleep sometimes.

Yep, Australian cricket commentators are unique. It's a club for self-congratulating wankers.....who talk about their achievements for 8 hours per day.

It could be worse though......ever heard Geoff Lawson on the radio. I lose my will to live within 2 minutes. If he comes on whilst you are driving, pull over and wait until he is off.

Turn the sound down, pop on some Cold Chisel and crack a homebrew. Relax knowing you are missing some pearls from Ian and The Club.
Edit: forgot to actually type something!

Back in the day Chapelli was temepered by Richie, Bill and Tony; men who knew the game and commented with relevance and optimism. Now there's no balance. Self congratulating wankers sums it up nicely.

The benefit of the commentary team was that you could be out the back or in the kitchen or on the bog for that matter and know there was a wicket or dropped catch, etc. Bill would be going off on top note and you could come in and catch the replay. I like the idea of cranking some tunes but it's just not... the same

seamad said:
Looking forward to our local clubs outing in the coming season,only been going 3 years but a very strong family club. Was kicked off by Garrick Morgan ( ex-wallaby) and my son will be U10 this season, so the scrums will start to get a bit more competitive.
U10! Great age group to be involved in. They are so willing to learn and try things, and optimistic. Nothing better than to see them do a skill you taught them at training.

I have one bloke playing grade in Sydney and one playing U14. Have coached both the boys at times and thoroughly loved every minute of it. Enjoy it whilst you can mate, it goes too fast. Hope it is a good season for your young fella.

I really admire blokes like Garrick Morgan who give back some of what they received during their playing days. Good for him, and your community.

See you, Anthony

Back