Our Jnr Cricket

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jim_Levet

Reaction score
Just a quick question. Did anybody play junior cricket with a kid that went on to play State or Test cricket?

rich
The topic started from a trivia night question, and then grew. There is a guy out there who didn't think Glenn McGrath was good enough to have a bowl in the U/14's. So I thought I would ask.
James

I was proudly bowled out by a Michael Bevan wrist spinner in primary school and in 6th grade and I was in 3rd grade. Everyone agreed it was an unplayable delivery.

He was also famous for being able to jump over the whole long jump pit.

I was in the same year and some of the same classes in high school as Ross Emerson, the other cricket umpire who did not like chucking.

No worries Jim, I have played a bit over the years and was wondering if you has a specific question or not.

cheers

richie

Rich
Who was the best bowler you faced & batsmen you came up against?
Cheers
Jim

Well, that's tough.

A quick sort of top 3 would be Kasper, Bichel and probably Lee. The first 2 are smart, smart, smart, competitive and relentless. Every ball you know you're in a contest. Lee is quick but is slower now than he was say 10 years ago when he played U/19's and the like. I can remember being at gully in a trial game way back then when he had a breeze behind him and I would have been an easy 30 m from the bat, catching. Much faster then. He is an easy seeing bowler but you still have to play it ;)

Batters are tough, seen Bevan get 200+ in the Pura cup while whe fielded for what seemed like days. Love, Hodge, Katich, Elliot, Blewitt, have all got big scores whilst i've been fielding but probably one of the the better would be Hussey. Gets hundreds for fun, Ive seen way more of him than I would have liked. Extremely consistent, here and o/s. I dunno why he hasnt been given more of a chance really?

I've left most of the current aussie players out, mainly becuase every one knows how good they are as well as any of my current squad members.

cheers

richie

Jim_Levet said:
Just a quick question. Did anybody play junior cricket with a kid that went on to play State or Test cricket?
[post="82788"][/post]​

I used to play Indoor with for the Lurnea Indoo centre, which used to be owned by Les Clarke, the father of Michael... Every now and again, when he didnt have too much on his plate, the Pup used to play.

Strangely enough, although he bowls offspin in the outdoor game, he was one of the quickest indoor bowlers I ever faced.... :eek:

Even stranger, I have achieved something that the Indians couldn't - I have bowled him! (even if it was during a practice session....) ;)

When I was 14, I got to bowl to Sunil Gavaskar in the nets at Adelaide Oval. Didn't trouble him at all, but it was a great experience for a kid. :beerbang:

M

Playing in U/12's & 14's we used to come up against Mark Atkinson who went on to keep wickets for Tassie & Australia A. We also had to deal with a very tall fast bowler named Stuart Stanton. He gave up cricket & played first grade league for Canberra Raiders, & a few other clubs.
Cheers
Gerard

Another question who out there is still playing cricket at the moment? (any grade) :

:blink: :blink: :blink:

lagernut said:
Another question who out there is still playing cricket at the moment? (any grade) :

:blink: :blink: :blink:
[post="83956"][/post]​

Still playing 3/4/5th grades in Canberra when time allows. Wrong side of 40, buggerred RC in shoulder and stuffed knees from indoor. I just cant seem to give it away. Have thought serously about sitting the exams and dabbling in some umpiring. Want to hang around in the game long enough to play a season with my son before pulling up stumps, and retiring to the dressing shed.

Hey Mandrakar

Your description of yourself is exactly the same as me :huh:

Ive got 3 to 4 years to wait for my son to play with me

After coaching u-10 in the morning & playing in the afternoon there is nothing better than sitting down with a nice cold (tap) homebrew

:beer: :beer: :beer:

I used to play junior cricket against Jimmy Maher in Cairns. Our teams met in the final one day, I opened the bowling, he opened the batting, 3 runs later his stumps were all over the place and his slow walk back to the sheds is still in my mind :super:

I still have that ball B)

lagernut said:
Hey Mandrakar

Your description of yourself is exactly the same as me :huh:

Ive got 3 to 4 years to wait for my son to play with me

After coaching u-10 in the morning & playing in the afternoon there is nothing better than sitting down with a nice cold (tap) homebrew

:beer: :beer: :beer:
[post="84074"][/post]​

Hear Hear! Hassle is that my Son is only 4! Started Have a Go cricket this year, so the process of coaching has commenced. This places me at 51 when he is 15. I guess waving the bat at 50. and then retiring will be the way to go.....

yes to score 50 & retire at 50 that would be good

:beerbang: :beerbang: :beerbang:

richie said:
probably one of the the better would be Hussey. Gets hundreds for fun, Ive seen way more of him than I would have liked. Extremely consistent, here and o/s. I dunno why he hasnt been given more of a chance really?
cheers
richie
[post="83229"][/post]​

Ritchie- Very impressive call on Hussey,you seem to have picked that one before the selectors. Now what about the new guy from W.A? have you ever come up against him?
Cheers
Gerard

Latest posts

Back