Our fridge died, yeast got hot...

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

laxation

Phlegm TB
Reaction score
Came home today to find the fridge/freezer had died and everything - even in the freezer - was 18+ degrees. Must have been blowing hot air from the fan or something...

Along with my 7kg brisket (rip) I also had a few wyeast and white labs yeasts in there.

No idea how long they've been hot for, except that it was enough to get a frozen slab of brisket to 14 degrees.

Some of the yeasts are from the Melb case swap, and were already a month or so past their best before.

Are they dead? Is there a way I can check to see if they're gone?

Wow. A 7kg Brisket? That would take a lot to thaw. How much yeast? I wouldn't use the yeast but I hate the idea of going to all the good efforts of all grain brewing to risk it with questionable yeast.
Are you sure its not a defrost cycle? Although i wouldnt think it would thaw a big slab of meat though.
I freaked out on my temp control fridge when it went hot in the freezer for nearly a day if I recall.
I thought it was stuffed but thankfully it was an automatic defrost cycle. It all went back to normal.

It's never had a defrost cycle that I know of... It's turned off now but can turn it on tomorrow to see.

It was my grandma's fridge so it's at least 20yo old now.

Is there a way to test the yeast with a starter or anything to see if it goes? Or is there more to it than it just activating

Yeah activation isn't a total guarantee that its good. Its probably OK if 18c was the maximum the temp got to.
I just like the safe bet. If its out of date etc I'd just get some new yeast.

Cheers, guess I'll get rid of the old ones. I was going to use them for the case swap brew, but I def doing want to wreck that one. For the newer ones, what could go wrong?

If I were in your situation, first I would make up a good BBQ sauce, smoke the brisket, and eat it while having a good think ;)

I would either chuck the yeast, or get it in the fridge - not freezer - and grow it up again. See how it goes. Taste and smell the starter wort. Is it something you want to use? If so, re-freeze it. If not, chuck it. It's likely to have some differences from the original yeast, but it's worth a try, IMHAO.

The yeast was in the fridge, not freezer, if that makes a difference.

No way I'm going to spend 20 hours smoking a brisket that might be f'd though!

Why would the brisket be effed? Surely you would defrost it prior to cooking in any case?

I think the yeasts will be fine too...if you don't want them post to me!

If brisket is shit, it will smell shit.
Make starters, stepped up properly and re-fridge your stored yeast.

Why would the brisket be effed? Surely you would defrost it prior to cooking in any case
I'd defrost it sure, but the fact it got so hot - the freezer must have been doing some weird shit.
It would take probably 36-48 hours to defrost that bit of meat if it was sitting on the bench this time of year!

It's such a big commitment to do a brisket, not about to waste 20 hours and risk getting me (and all my friends) sick from it :( I'm usually pretty gung-ho when it comes to food safety and that but hot air + a heap of meat is a bad time

thanks all for your advice :)

Just a follow up in case anyone comes across this in a Google search in 3 years' or something...

I tried the old Belgian yeast in a starter and over 3 days OG didn't drop at all, so I've chucked it and will get rid of the other expired ones. Lesson learned not to stockpile yeast!

Have brewed a beer with one of the other yeasts that wasn't out of date, and it seems ok so far.

Latest posts

Back