Ouch - that pricey really?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fraser_john

Go Pies
Reaction score
To say I rarely go out anymore is probably still an understatement. Why bother? We cook better food at home, have beer that is equal to just about any available on tap, got a good TV for watching sport etc etc etc.

So, when I met my wife and some of her ex-work collegues for a drink at a trendy pub in Packington Street in Geelong and I was charged $22 for two pints of MELBOURNE BITTER I almost staggered backwards!

Went back for a Hawkers IPA and that was at least the same price at $11, but fark me $11 for a pint.

The insanity. No wonder I don't want to go anywhere.

fraser_john said:
... I was charged $22 for two pints of MELBOURNE BITTER I almost staggered backwards!

Went back for a Hawkers IPA and that was at least the same price at $11, but fark me $11 for a pint....
and a reasonable amount of gouging going on if they are charging the same same for Melbourne Bitter

I pay around that but it's usually imported or quality craft.. no ******* way I'd tolerate that for Melbourne Bitter, fact, I'd tell them to stick it before I handed it over...

Yeah we need some nice gardens and buildings where we can get together with friends, have a few homies and some home cooked food.
It's the price we pay for social drinking and being amongst it. $11 for a pint of home State beer is indeed disturbing.

Ouch. But yep, I've paid $15 for a pint - at least it was at Bright Brewery. Then again, where;s the middle man markup, transport etc?

I do remember years ago - might have posted this before - getting a schooner of the latest release Little Creatures Puffing Billy at a pub in Sydney and being charged $10. I said, "no, I only want one" The barman said "Its all the way from Perth you know?" I said "You just sold me a stubby of Becks for $6 and it came from Germany"....

Like as not they are paying less than $300 for a 50L keg of MB.

If your "Pint" was 570 ml, they are getting 87 pints from a 50L keg.

87 x $11 = $957 .... that's a $657.00 mark up. Fuckers are gouging.

Furphy refreshing ale is $7 a pint at my local pub..

Great drink specials currently available across the bar.
  • Victoria Bitter - $7.00 (570ml pint)
  • Crown Lager or Crown Golden Ale - $7.00 (375ml bottle)
  • Jack Daniels & Cola or Dry - $9.50 (330ml bottle)
  • Tooheys Extra Dry 5 Seeds Crisp Apple Cider - $6.00 (345ml bottle)
  • Jack Daniels Whiskey - $7.50 (30ml nip & mix)
Conditions may apply. Enjoy responsibly.

good4whatAlesU said:
Like as not they are paying less than $300 for a 50L keg of MB.
I think it would be way less than $300.

Production cost for MB would be between 30 and 40c per litre so that's $15 - 20. Call it $20 including the cost of kegging it.

Excise on 50 litres at 4.6 ABV at $33.77 / LAL is $58.25* so we are up to about $78.

IIRC brewery margin and "marketing allowance" on keg product is under 50%, that gets us to $117, plus GST is about $130.

Note that the government's take is more than half of this.

I don't know how much distribution costs but I don't think it's a large margin.

I do know that the expensive part of draught beer is running the venue. Typically I believe the venue will expect a margin of about 200%.

* The excise is calculated on ABV - 1.15%, so for MB it's 3.45%.

My Mrs works in pubs. Sometime she would get a keg through work at cost for a party or something. Last time about 18 months ago a 50l keg of Carlton draught cost $280. This was in Brisbane. No idea how much now but I'm guessing at least $300.

Nah got to be way less than $300 for a bulk delivery. As per Lyrebirds calcs the big boys are getting it out the cellar door at half that. I made some inquiries about a small contract marketing batch a while back and it was around $300 a keg, excise paid (but not including keg hire or distribution, granted).

Yes agreed, that's why we home brew :D ..

But everyone likes a night out and some pubs/establishments are price gouging.

Margins won't be so great when you take into account rent, license, staff, taxes and other outgoings in the trendy bars, I was paying $13.50 on Sunday in Richmond.

Lyrebird_Cycles said:
I think it would be way less than $300.

Production cost for MB would be between 30 and 40c per litre so that's $15 - 20. Call it $20 including the cost of kegging it.

Excise on 50 litres at 4.6 ABV at $33.77 / LAL is $58.25* so we are up to about $78.

IIRC brewery margin and "marketing allowance" on keg product is under 50%, that gets us to $117, plus GST is about $130.

Note that the government's take is more than half of this.

I don't know how much distribution costs but I don't think it's a large margin.

I do know that the expensive part of draught beer is running the venue. Typically I believe the venue will expect a margin of about 200%.

* The excise is calculated on ABV - 1.15%, so for MB it's 3.45%.
A decent size pub is paying way less than $300 for a keg of MB. Looked into contract brewing last year and I can get a 50L keg of average strength APA made up to my recipe for $175 incl gst / excise + transport. Minimum batch is 3000L but can be split between bottles and kegs. I know that stronger craft beers in 50L kegs are being sold by a distributor to outlets between $250 - $270 incl gst

As LB said though if you go and do the full due diligence on running a licensed venue you will soon see that those juicy looking margins are quickly swallowed up. Still charging over $10 for a MB is taking the p155.

Yeah, was surprised enough to go back and confirm that everything was included (ie. excise). Didn't proceed in the end for other reasons.

Latest posts

Back