Ouch - that pricey really?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

fraser_john

Go Pies
Reaction score
To say I rarely go out anymore is probably still an understatement. Why bother? We cook better food at home, have beer that is equal to just about any available on tap, got a good TV for watching sport etc etc etc.

So, when I met my wife and some of her ex-work collegues for a drink at a trendy pub in Packington Street in Geelong and I was charged $22 for two pints of MELBOURNE BITTER I almost staggered backwards!

Went back for a Hawkers IPA and that was at least the same price at $11, but fark me $11 for a pint.

The insanity. No wonder I don't want to go anywhere.

Yob

Hop to it
Reaction score
fraser_john said:
... I was charged $22 for two pints of MELBOURNE BITTER I almost staggered backwards!

Went back for a Hawkers IPA and that was at least the same price at $11, but fark me $11 for a pint....
and a reasonable amount of gouging going on if they are charging the same same for Melbourne Bitter

I pay around that but it's usually imported or quality craft.. no ******* way I'd tolerate that for Melbourne Bitter, fact, I'd tell them to stick it before I handed it over...

droid

somewhere on the slippery slope with a beer in han
Reaction score
Yeah we need some nice gardens and buildings where we can get together with friends, have a few homies and some home cooked food.
It's the price we pay for social drinking and being amongst it. $11 for a pint of home State beer is indeed disturbing.

mckenry

Brummagem
Reaction score
Ouch. But yep, I've paid $15 for a pint - at least it was at Bright Brewery. Then again, where;s the middle man markup, transport etc?

I do remember years ago - might have posted this before - getting a schooner of the latest release Little Creatures Puffing Billy at a pub in Sydney and being charged $10. I said, "no, I only want one" The barman said "Its all the way from Perth you know?" I said "You just sold me a stubby of Becks for $6 and it came from Germany"....

good4whatAlesU

Reaction score
Like as not they are paying less than $300 for a 50L keg of MB.

If your "Pint" was 570 ml, they are getting 87 pints from a 50L keg.

87 x $11 = $957 .... that's a $657.00 mark up. Fuckers are gouging.

DU99

Reaction score
Furphy refreshing ale is $7 a pint at my local pub..

Great drink specials currently available across the bar.
  • Victoria Bitter - $7.00 (570ml pint)
  • Crown Lager or Crown Golden Ale - $7.00 (375ml bottle)
  • Jack Daniels & Cola or Dry - $9.50 (330ml bottle)
  • Tooheys Extra Dry 5 Seeds Crisp Apple Cider - $6.00 (345ml bottle)
  • Jack Daniels Whiskey - $7.50 (30ml nip & mix)
Conditions may apply. Enjoy responsibly.

Lyrebird_Cycles

Reaction score
good4whatAlesU said:
Like as not they are paying less than $300 for a 50L keg of MB.
I think it would be way less than $300.

Production cost for MB would be between 30 and 40c per litre so that's $15 - 20. Call it $20 including the cost of kegging it.

Excise on 50 litres at 4.6 ABV at $33.77 / LAL is $58.25* so we are up to about $78.

IIRC brewery margin and "marketing allowance" on keg product is under 50%, that gets us to $117, plus GST is about $130.

Note that the government's take is more than half of this.

I don't know how much distribution costs but I don't think it's a large margin.

I do know that the expensive part of draught beer is running the venue. Typically I believe the venue will expect a margin of about 200%.

* The excise is calculated on ABV - 1.15%, so for MB it's 3.45%.

Bridgey23

Reaction score
My Mrs works in pubs. Sometime she would get a keg through work at cost for a party or something. Last time about 18 months ago a 50l keg of Carlton draught cost $280. This was in Brisbane. No idea how much now but I'm guessing at least $300.

DJR

I'm out
Reaction score
Just another reason we brew innit

good4whatAlesU

Reaction score
Nah got to be way less than $300 for a bulk delivery. As per Lyrebirds calcs the big boys are getting it out the cellar door at half that. I made some inquiries about a small contract marketing batch a while back and it was around $300 a keg, excise paid (but not including keg hire or distribution, granted).

Yes agreed, that's why we home brew :D ..

But everyone likes a night out and some pubs/establishments are price gouging.

wide eyed and legless

Reaction score
Margins won't be so great when you take into account rent, license, staff, taxes and other outgoings in the trendy bars, I was paying $13.50 on Sunday in Richmond.

Killer Brew

Reaction score
Lyrebird_Cycles said:
I think it would be way less than $300.

Production cost for MB would be between 30 and 40c per litre so that's $15 - 20. Call it $20 including the cost of kegging it.

Excise on 50 litres at 4.6 ABV at $33.77 / LAL is $58.25* so we are up to about $78.

IIRC brewery margin and "marketing allowance" on keg product is under 50%, that gets us to $117, plus GST is about $130.

Note that the government's take is more than half of this.

I don't know how much distribution costs but I don't think it's a large margin.

I do know that the expensive part of draught beer is running the venue. Typically I believe the venue will expect a margin of about 200%.

* The excise is calculated on ABV - 1.15%, so for MB it's 3.45%.
A decent size pub is paying way less than $300 for a keg of MB. Looked into contract brewing last year and I can get a 50L keg of average strength APA made up to my recipe for $175 incl gst / excise + transport. Minimum batch is 3000L but can be split between bottles and kegs. I know that stronger craft beers in 50L kegs are being sold by a distributor to outlets between $250 - $270 incl gst

As LB said though if you go and do the full due diligence on running a licensed venue you will soon see that those juicy looking margins are quickly swallowed up. Still charging over $10 for a MB is taking the p155.

Killer Brew

Reaction score
Yeah, was surprised enough to go back and confirm that everything was included (ie. excise). Didn't proceed in the end for other reasons.

Latest posts