Original Gravity

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Maxbrewer73

Reaction score
I’m new to this forum but have a question I need to ask. My original gravity rarely differs from my pre boil gravity.
My Pre boil gravity was 1.048 and my gravity into the fermenter was 1.045. It actually went down. I don’t understand
Please help

I’m new to this forum but have a question I need to ask. My original gravity rarely differs from my pre boil gravity.
My Pre boil gravity was 1.048 and my gravity into the fermenter was 1.045. It actually went down. I don’t understand
Please help

Are you taking temperature into account?

Brewers friend only calculates corrections for up to 71deg, but your numbers (if we assume 60-something and max) could show an increase.
Maybe one of the other calculators will correct for 90+ degs?

Are you taking temperature into account?

Brewers friend only calculates corrections for up to 71deg, but your numbers (if we assume 60-something and max) could show an increase.
Maybe one of the other calculators will correct for 90+ degs?
My refractometer has automatic temperature correction

Give the wort a massive stir or wait until it's come to a boil before you take your first reading. It obviously can't go down so you're just getting a misread. Check your OG against a hydrometer as your refrac could be well out of calibration as well

Give the wort a massive stir or wait until it's come to a boil before you take your first reading. It obviously can't go down so you're just getting a misread. Check your OG against a hydrometer as your refrac could be well out of calibration as well
I calibrated it with distilled water and it was fine

Hues is right! it's a misread.
Any other answer is like dropping a brick and having it fall up. Odds on its poor mixing (heavy first runnings aren't mixed with sparge properly) equipment error, process error (like not correcting for temperature) or most common of all operator error (you screwed up) I'm so dyslexic I know I have to be very careful when I wright numbers down (been known to dial telephone numbers is reverse, transpose every second digit...do atrocious things with spelling).
Check out your processes so you eliminate the chance for mistakes, calibrate your equipment, double check everything and its will be pretty rare that reality gets rearranged to confuse your SG readings.
Mark

Hues is right! it's a misread.
Any other answer is like dropping a brick and having it fall up. Odds on its poor mixing (heavy first runnings aren't mixed with sparge properly) equipment error, process error (like not correcting for temperature) or most common of all operator error (you screwed up) I'm so dyslexic I know I have to be very careful when I wright numbers down (been known to dial telephone numbers is reverse, transpose every second digit...do atrocious things with spelling).
Check out your processes so you eliminate the chance for mistakes, calibrate your equipment, double check everything and its will be pretty rare that reality gets rearranged to confuse your SG readings.
Mark
I calibrate my refractometer regularly with distilled water and it has automatic temperature control

I think you should read up on what automatic temperature control really means.

Maybe link to your refractometer you purchased most from a quick Google say that calibration is only in the 10-30 degree. As other have suggested you'll have to do another compensation for higher temperatures. Note I dont use one though but use hydrometer that I have to calibrate so just going off that. Added a screenshot as well.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20181009-092652_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20181009-092652_Chrome.jpg
    581.5 KB · Views: 61
One way to approach this next brew day, is take a sample pre boil and post boil, seal them and let them cool to room temp and measure both at the same temperature with your refracometer and a hydrometer.

Compare results.

Had the same issue when I started. Now only take pre-boil sample just as it starts to boil and pretty much stirring itself up.

Back