Oregon State Uni - Craft Brewery Startup Workshop

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mr_wibble

Beer Odd
Reaction score
I'm considering attending this start-a-microbrewery workshop in Oregon (USA). Currently it's about AUD $1200.

https://pace.oregonstate.edu/catalog/craft-brewery-startup-workshop

Has anyone ever been to this or sort of thing?

There's a local guy offering the same sort of course, but even taking into account flights and accommodation, that one costs thousands more. And, yeah the part of the American course on licensing & tax (2 hours) would be a waste as it's not applicable.

I've attached the 2017 syllabus.

Thoughts and comments?

Attachments

• 2017_eugene_craft_brewery_syllabus_final.pdf
    69.1 KB · Views: 80
a friend went to something similar for distilling and found it very useful. be prepared, so you can bring full business plans etc. and get the most out of it.

Looks great. Oregon has a very strong craft beer industry.

Would you require some type of international student visa?

Without trying to shut the idea down, have you worked in a brewery in Aus previously? I think it's very wise to get a gig as an employee and get a feel for what it takes to run a brewery before you kind of short circuit the process and just go straight ahead with wanting to open one. Not to try and put whatever plans you have to bed but all I would say is the craft brewing dream ain't always as it seems. Especially in today's market. Just my 2c

Without trying to shut the idea down, have you worked in a brewery in Aus previously? I think it's very wise to get a gig as an employee and get a feel for what it takes to run a brewery before you kind of short circuit the process and just go straight ahead with wanting to open one. Not to try and put whatever plans you have to bed but all I would say is the craft brewing dream ain't always as it seems. Especially in today's market. Just my 2c

Yeah I have considered this.
I figured if i couldn't do it myself, I would hire a professional brewer as part of my plan.

It's not trivial to get a position at a brewery, even as a volunteer.

The big issue is trying to go from full-time working --> full-time working + part-time brewing --> full-time brewing.

Latest posts

Back