Ordinary Taste In Secondary

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DrewCarey82

"Baron Hardmans" Chief brewer.
Reaction score
G'day Guys 2 weeks ago I put down a brew on the Sat the 10/9. Moved it to secondary last thurs(firmantation had nearly finished was only slowly bubbling) using the standard procedure here.

Last night I went to get a reading on the gravity only to find out my hydrometre had busted - (damn, damn theres $15) so I had a taste and the Wort tasted like soggy and not very pleasant.

This is only my second brew and I havent even tasted the first, it just had a very off taste will this improve with time once I bottle and prime it? Or should I right this one off, I cleaned it using unscented coles bleach and sanatised it with pink lady.

The colour was still very yellow but it seemed to have a very good head.

Please advise.

Thanks in advance.

- Drew Carey.

DrewCarey82 said:
G'day Guys 2 weeks ago I put down a brew on the Sat the 10/9. Moved it to secondary last thurs(firmantation had nearly finished was only slowly bubbling) using the standard procedure here.

Last night I went to get a reading on the gravity only to find out my hydrometre had busted - (damn, damn theres $15) so I had a taste and the Wort tasted like soggy and not very pleasant.

This is only my second brew and I havent even tasted the first, it just had a very off taste will this improve with time once I bottle and prime it? Or should I right this one off, I cleaned it using unscented coles bleach and sanatised it with pink lady.

The colour was still very yellow but it seemed to have a very good head.

Please advise.

Thanks in advance.

- Drew Carey.
[post="78117"][/post]​

soggy means wet, so i guess that's what it should taste like :D - seriously though, wort direct from the fermenter is an aquired taste & some brewers never get used to it. Personaly I love tasting each stage & get a wealth of information from it.
So don't give up yet... just compare the end result against your tastings & learn...

Somebody actually mentioned that it has the off-taste due to the fact that I havent primed it yet, I only added the stuff to send the sentiment due to the bottom which would account for the funny taste as apparently with sugar its a totally dif taste?

And the yeast eats the sugar and that accounts for the flavour?

DrewCarey82 said:
Somebody actually mentioned that it has the off-taste due to the fact that I havent primed it yet, I only added the stuff to send the sentiment due to the bottom which would account for the funny taste as apparently with sugar its a totally dif taste?

And the yeast eats the sugar and that accounts for the flavour?
[post="78140"][/post]​

DC,

Until your beer has finished, ie cleared & been carbonated, your beer will taste quite different to varying degrees. Taste at different stages, take notes, & see what beer you end up with - In time you should be able to have a good idea of your finished product even before fermentation starts...

Your beer from secondary is warm, has lots of yeast floating in it, is only slightly carbonated and is green. Whenever you take an sg sample, drink it, don't pour it back into the fermenter.

Follow Ross's advice.

Latest posts

Back