Ordering From St Pats

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
OK
Just recieved an answer , $35.90 surface 4-6 weeks $75.00 air 3-10 days

Surface will do me

And we all got into this brewing game to save money on buying commercial beer :lol:
He who dies with the most brewing tools wins!!

C&B
TDA

Batz

If your order is U$250 + U$35.90 postage at the current exchange rate you will be slugged with about A$53 for duty and GST!
If possible try to drop your order by at least U$20 then you wont pay any duty or GST.

Hoops

hoopsunitedbrewery said:
Batz

If your order is U$250 + U$35.90 postage at the current exchange rate you will be slugged with about A$53 for duty and GST!
If possible try to drop your order by at least U$20 then you wont pay any duty or GST.

Hoops
Batz

Going surface you will not be slugged with duty.....

as far as i know - 250usd is for air freight
1000.00 usd for surface - so you will be OK...

was this a quote from More beer.

Ken.

Batz
Going surface you will not be slugged with duty.....
as far as i know - 250usd is for air freight
1000.00 usd for surface - so you will be OK...
was this a quote from More beer.
Ken.
Ken this is definitely not the case. I have a mates mum who works in customs, and to confirm I called and e-mailed Customs. If the import is $1000 or more a "customs import entry" must be lodged. If under $1000 then an "informal clearance document" may be required.
If duty (5%) + GST (10%) totals A$50 or more you pay duty, if under A$50 customs do not collect.
See my post below for more info.

http://www.aussiehomebrewer.com/forum/inde...282&hl=usa+ebay

From the Customs website:
All goods imported into Australia must be cleared by Customs, whether they be imported by air, sea or post. While imports of low value will generally be released by Customs for delivery direct to consignees, importers are responsible for obtaining a formal Customs clearance for consignments of goods above set value limits (currently $250 for goods imported by sea or air cargo and $1,000 for goods imported through the postal system).
Please note that Customs duty and/or Goods and Services Tax and, where applicable, Wine Equalisation Tax and Luxury Car Tax are levied on many items entering Australia, whether or not the goods require a formal Customs clearance. Customs duty rates vary and depend on a number of factors such as type of goods and country of origin.
Check out their website: Customs Imports
Or call them: 1300 363 263 but be prepared for a long wait.

Anyone with more Q's feel free to PM me

Hoops

Hoops

So....how does Batz get it sent in the postal system....
Then he will have 1000.00 to play with.

I know that my mate spent 265USD and then got hit with duty because it came by air.

So....how does Batz get it sent in the postal system....
Then he will have 1000.00 to play with.

I know that my mate spent 265USD and then got hit with duty because it came by air.
GMK
To avoid Duty & GST Batz would need to drop his order to approx A$320 total and send postal system.
The 1 rule is if Duty + GST = less than A$50 then it is not collected by Customs.
Duty is 5% of goods (not postage)
GST is then 10% of (goods + duty + postage)
If you add the 5% duty + 10% GST and it's less than A$50 your sweet.

An example (rough calculations)
Total order of A$320 - add $16 duty + $32 GST = $48 duty & GST = no payment to customs = A$320 :)
Total order of A$340 - add $17 duty + $34 GST = $51 duty & GST = $51 payment to customs = A$391 :(
Forget about the $1000 limit as it won't come into play for homebrew items.

For your mate's order he would be on the line for paying duty & GST (depending on the exchange rate) even if he sent it surface mail. Why?

At 76c exchange rate : U$256 = A$336
Duty + GST approx = 15% = A$336 X 0.15 = A$50.40 so duty is collected = A$386.40 total :(
At 77c exchange rate : U$256 = A$332
Duty + GST approx = 15% = A$332 X 0.15 = A$49.80 duty is not collected = A$332 total :)

It's hard to give you an exact order amount as it depends on how much of it is postage and the exchange rate at the time, but as a rule of thumb A$320

Hoops

Hoops

So if he gets more beer to list the items as a value of 200.00USD and postage is not taken into account - then he should be OK.

That would be great if they can change the invoice value, but postage is still taken into account for GST.

If his invoice is marked as U$200 goods + U$35.90 postage then....
A$256 goods 5% duty (A$12.80) = A$268.80
A$268.80 + A$45.60 postage = A$314.40 10% GST (A$31.44)
Duty + GST = $12.80 + $31.44 = $44.24 therefore no duty is collected as it's below $50.

PS this was using yesterdays conversion rates

Hoops

thanks for that Hoops...
Good info and easily understood.

Only wish I knew that a couple of months ago.
I ordered some stuff from morebeer for a few blokes and it came to $1020Aus so I had to organise a formal declaration... big hasslte it was I tell you.....

Asher for now

Anyone looking at getting anything from St Pats?
I am thinking of getting some bits and pieces but not quite U$300

hoops,
I found 'morebeer' better to deal with than st pats , and there is no minim order
I think they have most of the stuff st pats do as well

My experence anyway

Batz

I would prefer to get stuff from morebeer but the one thing I'm after is a THREADED SS diffusion stone so I can build a CFWC with built in aerator, and maybe a in-keg-carbonator. I may have to end up going through morebeer?

Hoops

I got my SS diffusion stone from morebeer

Do they have threaded ones? I couldn't find any on their website.

Yes they do , search FE396
that's the one I have , screws into a 1/2" 'T'

You need a gutzy air pump to push air trough , but they are easy to buy here in Aussie , can post a pic if needed

hopeye
They are an airstone to airate your wort , similar to an aquarium one only made of stainless steel

Latest posts

Back