Opinions On This Stout Recipe

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mr Flibbles

Reaction score
Looking to brew a batch of export stout around 7.5% and have come up with this recipe:

2 x Coopers OS stout tins

1 x Coopers dark liquid malt extract

250g chocolate malt

250g roasted barley

300g black patent

~ 30g East Kent Goldings @ 15min

Wyeast London Ale yeast.

20L

I'm looking for an ashy, dry stout that is bittersweet (more bitter) and full bodied. Opinions?

Im happy to be proven wrong, but id be thinking with two tins of stout, and 800g of dark/roast malts, its going to be one incredibly dark, roasty bitter brew

this may be what youre looking for, but could also be excessively roasty

Anyone who has tried this though would have a better understanding and provide better feedback

Sponge

Yes, Sponge is right, that's a bit too much of everything. I note you want "ashy" - not quite sure what that means, but you'll get puckeringly awful with that much bitter roasted grain and the extract and the kits.

Try searching "toucan" for different approaches to the wonders of a headbanging stout from the can.

cheers

grant

it will be fine

Dan Rayner's Best beer of Show beer a few years ago. It was a K+K + steeped grains, and called for
500g cracked roast barley
500g cracked light crystal
1.7kg can Draught
1.7kg can Porter
1.7kg can Stout (no brand names are listed)
1kg brewing sugar
1kg dried brew booster

60g styrian goldings @60
40g EKG @ 15
20g saaz @ 0

He steeped the grains in 6L water, and boiled that for 60 mins, with the styrian added at start boil, the EKG added 15 mins from flameout, and the saaz at flamout.

Then he just added the 3 cans into his fermenter, put the boiling wort on top of that, stirred to dissolve, and added cold water up to 20L mark.
It says he aerated by pouring from one fermenter into another several times, pitched 40g of yeast, and it seems like he used 2 fermenters to ferment in, probably at 10L each, cause the krauesen that comes of a good RIS will creep out of the fermenter and strangle you in your sleep if you dont give it bollock loads of head space.

Also says to use champagne yeast to finish it off, expect a OG of 1115, and an FG of 1028.

now i brewed this many a year ago when i was kits and it was good. but perhaps if your worried sub 1 stout can with a porter

Thinking of doing this one iv'e just designed. What do you's think?

Total for 1.0 batch:20L
0.65 kg Maris Otter Pale Ale Malt
0.65 kg English Mild Ale
0.65 kg Golden Promise Malt
0.47 kg Rye Malt
0.42 kg Brown Malt
0.65 kg Pale Wheat Malt
0.7 kg German CaraAroma
0.65 kg Carared
0.32 kg Chocolate Malt
0.2 kg Roasted Barley
38.95 g Northern Brewer (8.5%)
29.47 g Hallertauer Mittelfrher (4.5%)

Yeast -1968 london ESB
IBU-45 (may make this less not sure yet)

OG-1.062
FG- 1.018

Cheers

Gav

If you use a regular sized fermenter for this, you may want to place it in the centre of a rather large tarpaulin.

If you use a regular sized fermenter for this, you may want to place it in the centre of a rather large tarpaulin.
ooh 1968 is like that is it? I got a 30L fermentor and will probably ferment at 17-18 degrees I suppose.

EDIT: oops wrong thread section just didn't want to make a new one on "is this recipe ok". Carry on.

For a dead simple toucan headbanger, my version came midfield in the Nationals as a Russian Imperial Stout a couple of years ago:

2 cans Coopers Stout
kilo LDME
kilo Dex
A handful of just about any hop you can think of (Styrians would be perfect) thrown into the fermenter on day 4

I think I may have used the kit yeast, but something like S04 would probably be better, but not Nottingham.

:beerbang:

It's quite drinkable after only 3 weeks in the bottle. A bit of steeping malt such as choc might add a bit of extra complexity.

I'd watch that Black Patent. I've used only 100g in some Black Beer recipes and it leaves a very strong
and bitter roastiness. I'd start at maybe 150g and sub a tin of stout for smoother Porter or Nut Brown Ale,
or even Coopers Dark Ale.

If it's not roasty and burnt anough for you then you've calibarted yourself and can make it darker next time.

Latest posts

Back