Quantcast

Opening Then Closing A Cube

Aussie Home Brewer

Help Support Aussie Home Brewer:

Thefatdoghead

Reaction score
My car is at the shop getting fixed and I can't make it to the LHBS so I was thinking of using the wort in my cube for a starter. Should I try or am I just going to lose the wort to infection from air getting in? Maybe I could fill it with co2 to purge out the air then seal it back up until the yeast is done. Anyone tried with success?
Cheers

mxd

Reaction score
it'll probably work, but I wouldn't do it

JoeG

Reaction score
Hey Gav - I have never done what you propose, but I would suggest its a very good way to get an infection and lose your cube of wort. I remember another brewer (can't remeber who) tried this to take a gravity sample from his cube and lost the lot to an infection.

Is it just that you don't have any DME to make a starter, and you don't have wheels to get to the LHBS? Is there an IGA or something you can walk to? Nearly every supermarket will carry a small section of Coopers home brew products. I have used the Coopers DME quite a bit for starters, and it will do the job well. Its expensive for a 500g pack, but I reckon its a better option than risking your cube of lovely Brewmeistered wort.

Cheers

sponge

Dungeon O' Sponge Brewery
Reaction score
Opening a cube without fermenting straight away is always asking for an infection, and would be better just making a starter with DME than risk having to throw out a cube of your hard work.

Just my 2 bob worth though

Sponge

Thefatdoghead

Reaction score
Hey Gav - I have never done what you propose, but I would suggest its a very good way to get an infection and lose your cube of wort. I remember another brewer (can't remeber who) tried this to take a gravity sample from his cube and lost the lot to an infection.

Is it just that you don't have any DME to make a starter, and you don't have wheels to get to the LHBS? Is there an IGA or something you can walk to? Nearly every supermarket will carry a small section of Coopers home brew products. I have used the Coopers DME quite a bit for starters, and it will do the job well. Its expensive for a 500g pack, but I reckon its a better option than risking your cube of lovely Brewmeistered wort.

Cheers
Hey Joe, yeah mate im out of DME. I reckon it's to big a risk as well. My car won't be ready until Friday so I might just have to get some extract or something. Really don't want to lose this Brown ale.

Cheers mate

Dazza88

Reaction score
Maybe if the cube was at 1c in the fridge before and after opening but dme much safer option.

ekul

Reaction score
Using a kit works really well. I make all my starters from a can of coopers cervesa.

Or you could use some grain and make a minimash on the stove if you noway of getting to a supermarket.

Ifyou've opened the cube i'd be p[itching some dry yeast if you don't have amnything else ready.

donburke

Reaction score
Using a kit works really well. I make all my starters from a can of coopers cervesa.

Or you could use some grain and make a minimash on the stove if you noway of getting to a supermarket.

Ifyou've opened the cube i'd be p[itching some dry yeast if you don't have amnything else ready.
Mash some grains for 30 mins strain and boil for another 30

tallie

Reaction score
Someone did it here - pretty sure he won't be doing it again.

Cheers,
tallie

manticle

Standing up for the Aussie Bottler
Reaction score
I'd either take my chances with underpitching or not pitch till I could get what I needed.

Next time, get the last bit you leave behind with the break, let the break settle out, decant and reboil - starter wort of the same composition as the NC wort.

Thefatdoghead

Reaction score
Thanks for all the advice guys. Think I got it all sorted.
:icon_cheers:

seemax

Reaction score
I've been using taps on my cubes (blue Willow 20L) for years now ... I can drain a sample to check the gravity or as I have done once or twice drain 1L for a starter all without opening the lid.

Probably wouldn't open the lid .. only on occasions to let the CO2 out during fermentation, but that's only a 1/4 turn.

bcp

poפ ɹǝǝq
Reaction score
I've been using taps on my cubes (blue Willow 20L) for years now ... I can drain a sample to check the gravity or as I have done once or twice drain 1L for a starter all without opening the lid.

Probably wouldn't open the lid .. only on occasions to let the CO2 out during fermentation, but that's only a 1/4 turn.
The only batch I ever lost to infection included doing just this. I can't be sure it was the cause, but I won't be repeating the effort.

Dazza88

Reaction score
I've opened the tap, glug glug. Air gets sucked into the cube. I pitched it very soon after.

mje1980

Old Thunder brewery
Reaction score
On a brewday once, i accidentally opened a cube i thought had sanitiser in it, OOOPPPSS!!. Fermented it that day with some dry yeast from memory, was better than risking infection.

peaky

Beer God
Reaction score
The only time I ever open the lid on my jerry can is when I'm pitching a yeast into it. No way I'd draw unfermented wort from it. Not worth the risk in my opinion.

Cube

SAY MY NAME, BITCH
Reaction score
I'm pretty sure if you get a big balloon, put the cube and yourself in it and fill it with co2 then draw some wort you'll be sweet.

Or, maybe, just a suggestion as i love my idea above especially if whipped cream is introduced, get some DME or even sugarz. Kittens work well :)

Bribie G

Adjunct Professor
Reaction score
opening_cube.JPG

even the cube is worried which is why it posted in to see what its fate would be.

:blink:

LDME for starter if you don't have anything else. Don't tip in whole starter, just the yeasty layer and you won't get any twang. :icon_cheers:

Latest posts