Open Source Beer

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Torsion

Reaction score
Beer always tastes better when it's free, or so the saying goes.

So leave it to a group of college students to find a way to make sure their beer is always free. Well, at least the recipe they use to brew it is. A group of students at IT University of Copenhagen have produced what they claim is the first open-source beer.

For the rest of the artice see Open Source Beer

Cam

Very silly and fame-whorish, given the vast number of free recipes online.

From Vores l
The malt is crushed and put in 55-60C hot water for 1-2 hours.
4 kg sugar

Savages!

From http://www.blowfly.com.au/
What is Brewtopia?
It's an Open Source beer company. We're about making sexy premium beer. You decide what we do and how we do it. No crap, no fancy bullshit about 'imported hops', 'first crop barley' or sweaty blokes hard at it in the coal mines. It's beer. You get drunk, fall over, start a fight and mozy on out of town. Have a look

:eek:

Minus ten points for use of the word 'premium' in a beer description, minus a million for ripping on imported hops, and then going on to use saaz in their recipe.

This is all just a horrible joke, right?

The full official recipe is here:
http://www.voresoel.dk/main.php?id=71

Ridiculous. They add all the hops including the "aroma" hops at the start of the boil. I'm pretty sure using the same ingredients you could make a beer that actually tastes quite good. I might scale the recipe to a 20 litre batch and give it a whirl one day if I can figure out the difference between lager and pilsner malt. I might also mash a little higher than 55-60 degrees.

They claim to be the first open source beer apart from a news joke, but hell, their recipe and brewing methods are a joke.

Has anyone else actually tasted the Blowfly beer. A guy at work got a case and so I ended up with a bottle or 2 (and the full case of crown seal brown empties). I must say the bottle is the best part of the deal casue what's inside is thin watery and generally horid.

That's my opinion anyway

Borret :blink:

Borret

Your critique of Blowfly as being thin watery and generally horid reminded me of a Willie Simpson story I was reading the other day about Blowfly. He has a quote from the Blowfly guy saying the beer they wanted was VB with a dash of something different.

Explains a lot.

http://www.realbeer.com.au/alefiles/beer_w...4_10_8_4940.php

Just out of interest - anyone know where this is being brewed now. It used to be done by that Stockade brewery in Melbourne but I heard that Matilda Bay bought their gear, so I'm assuming they don't contract brew any more. Would be interested to hear if anyone knows.

That recipe really does tell the story. Single malt + sugar.
OG 1.043 FG 1.008

Doc

Edit: In relation to the Blowfly recipe.

Latest posts

Back