Open Lme

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

verysupple

Supremely mediocre brewer
Reaction score
Just a quick question. I have a jar of Breiss CBW Bavarian Wheat LME that had the seal broken about a month ago (don't ask me why <_< ). I just want to check if it will still be OK to use. All advice greatly appreciated :).

Just a quick question. I have a jar of Breiss CBW Bavarian Wheat LME that had the seal broken about a month ago (don't ask me why <_< ). I just want to check if it will still be OK to use. All advice greatly appreciated :).

Well being in Vic in cooler climate it should be fine.
Better off keeping it in the fridge sealed though.

Best to give it a quick boil too before use.

Oh yeah, good idea. So I just boil it in a couple of litres of water (I'll be using 1.5 kg of LME)?

If it is bad you will know it as stuff will be growing in it and it may fizz all over the place.

Would boil it for a bit to kill anything that is in it. If it is hopped, boiling will change the hop character. Do not need to go crazy, just need to keep it at 100C for about 10 minutes or so, a nice low simmer should work. Not sure exactly how long it takes to pasteurize extract.

Back