Open Fermentation Vs Airlocks And Side Airlock Mount Possible?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Icewind

Reaction score
long and short: I have a 300L fridge compartment that gives me 71cmW x 86cmH

I'm looking at a few different possibilities:

4x 30L buckets stacked on top of each other
2x60L fermenters
2x30L fermenters & space for some demijohns.

Looking at the 30L buckets (gives me ability to brew different batches at once.) I have been told by the supplier that stacking the buckets can be done (via open fermentation method.). I'm just wondering is it possible to side mount an airlock as far up the bucket as possible? (not as in airlock sideways, I would have to make a holding mechanism and some tubing to bend round to an upright airlock.)

How many of you guys swear by airlocks vs the open fermentation style (ie positive pressure of co2 keeping nasties out)

long and short: I have a 300L fridge compartment that gives me 71cmW x 86cmH

I'm looking at a few different possibilities:

4x 30L buckets stacked on top of each other
2x60L fermenters
2x30L fermenters & space for some demijohns.

Looking at the 30L buckets (gives me ability to brew different batches at once.) I have been told by the supplier that stacking the buckets can be done (via open fermentation method.). I'm just wondering is it possible to side mount an airlock as far up the bucket as possible? (not as in airlock sideways, I would have to make a holding mechanism and some tubing to bend round to an upright airlock.)

How many of you guys swear by airlocks vs the open fermentation style (ie positive pressure of co2 keeping nasties out)

I wouldn't be game to try open fermentation in a home brew set up. I know a it is (or at least was) common to have open fermenters (Samuel Smith and White Rabbit come to mind), but IMHO it isn't worth the risk with home brew. Have you tried covering your fermenters with glad wrap? Take it off the roll, secure to fermenter, no annoying airlock. Keeps any dust, bugs, wild yeasts etc from having a swim in your fermenting wort, and lets the CO2 out.

He wants to stack em mate....

Put a hole in the side as far up as you can and a grommet in that hole. Then just use a blow a off hose into a jug or bottle of water. Same work as an airlock, no fiddly mount etc.

Of if you can put in a shelf to put the top fermenter on as JDW said, cling wrap is your friend.

One of the best tips I ever picked up from this forum is to ditch the big arse barrel fermentors (unless you have the space for them anyway, I guess?) and brew in 20L Willow carry cans (bottommost picture). You can get them at Bunnings (I got mine from Woolworths) for like $20 each.

They actually hold >20L maybe 22 - 23. They are absolutely tiny: 34.0 x 14.0 x 51.0 CM L/W/H.

You could probably fit 5 - 6 of them in the space you're describing.

brew in 20L Willow carry cans (bottommost picture). You can get them at Bunnings (I got mine from Woolworths) for like $20 each.You could probably fit 5 - 6 of them in the space you're describing.

It makes a lot of sense to brew in rectangular containers as we put them into rectangular shaped fridges/freezers. Fermenters have a large opening though, which makes them easier to clean - especially the hard crusty stuff aound the level of the liquid near the top.

The one rule of open fermentation is absolutely still air around the fermenter. The CO2 blanket that forms on top of the brew must stay undisturbed as it is your 'airlock'

Steve

Jerry cans are pretty easy to clean. Hot water + napisan does all the hard work for you.

He wants to stack em mate....

Put a hole in the side as far up as you can and a grommet in that hole. Then just use a blow a off hose into a jug or bottle of water. Same work as an airlock, no fiddly mount etc.

Of if you can put in a shelf to put the top fermenter on as JDW said, cling wrap is your friend.

+1

Back