Oops... Low Mash Temp

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

goatus

Reaction score
Hi all,

Got a BIAB batch mashing at the moment in my electric BIAB kettle - was aiming for mash temp of 67 and hit 65, so kicked my electric element on for a few mins before i rug up the kettle to hold temp. After 15 mins and much confusion over why the temp wasnt rising - i discovered it had tripped my electricity meter (must have had too much running). Anyhoo.. all fixed now and shes mashing at 67 now, but because i didnt have the kettle rugged up the temp dropped as low as 60 over the 15 mins i was figuring out why the laws of physics had stopped working. Will I end up with a sweet beer (will it have converted at the lower temp in those 15 mins), or will it be almost the same beer as I initially intended now that I am holding for 90 mins at 67?

Thanks all
Chris

Higher temps = thicker beer with lower alcohol.

Lower temps = thinner beer with more alcohol.

Control of sweetness is more about hopping than mash temps. You can mash a sweet beer at 60C if you hop it to 7 IBUs. Buy a Miller Genuine Draft to find out.

Thanks all. Should I increase hop additions then to balance? or will it be negligible anyway?

Shouldn't make a lot of difference, if it's a fairly hop driven recipe that should even out any difference.
The guys in the "Yeast" book - in the section about mashing - stress that dextrins are not sweet and the "mash high = sweet beer" is a bit of an urban myth.

Cool, Ill go with the regular hop additions then. Cheers all. Its boil time. Woot.

Back