Oops A Daisy Think I Spoiled My Batch

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

leolass

Reaction score
HELP, if its not to late. :(
OK, I decided to make another batch of beer, (29/11) followed direction as I have done before with no problems.
this time the mix was a little warm to add the yeast - 38 deg so I left it over night (lid slightly open)
the next morning it was 26 deg took a gravity reading of 1040, then I added the yeast, just sprinkled
on top as before, no stirring. PS: this was the mix temp not the weather temp :D
screwed the lid and waited....and waited...2 days and nothing - no bubbling..!
waited another day and again..nothing, so tossed in another pkt of brewers yeast.
(dont ask me why, seemed like an idea at the time :unsure:
2 days later, nothing, and still nothing. :blink: took a gravity reading yest and it was 1020
do I throw it out? (if I do, out of curiosity is it good for garden?) or can I save it?

OK, I decided to make another batch of beer, (29/11) followed direction as I have done before with no problems.
this time the mix was a little warm to add the yeast - 38 deg so I left it over night (lid slightly open)
the next morning it was 26 deg took a gravity reading of 1040, then I added the yeast, just sprinkled
on top as before, no stirring. PS: this was the mix temp not the weather temp :D
waited another day and again..nothing, so tossed in another pkt of brewers yeast.
2 days later, nothing, and still nothing. :blink: took a gravity reading yest and it was 1020
do I throw it out? (if I do, out of curiosity is it good for garden?) or can I save it?

It's fermenting dude. What was the sg before you got the 1040 or is that what it was supposed to be?

Sounds like it's fermenting out. Leave it alone until it hits your final gravity. Not all yeasts throw a huge foamy mess. Also have a taste test the next time you take a gravity reading. If it tastes like flat beers all is ok.

The only other thing, it you need to leave it to cool have the lid on tight. Dust in the air carries a lot of nasty bacteria that want to munch on those yummy sugars and spoil your fun.

edit: I assume it would be good for the garden, a good bit of watering.

QldKev

What do you mean "nothing"? It's fermented it from 1040 to 1020 in 4 days, sounds like it's working perfectly to me!! Relax and have a beer mate, test it again on the weekend and if it's reached your expected FG, make sure it stays there for a few readings in a row and bottle it.

The airlock means jack, it really does....i've made plenty of great beers that never once bubbled the airlock. It's only there in case the wort needs to vent...yours just doesn't.

By the way next time, don't leave your fermenter overnight, especially with the lid off. Get it in an icebath if you have to, or look into cubing it in a sanitised container with no/little air in it. Try to get the yeast on it within an hour of putting it all together if you're not cubing though. It's not mandatory, you might get lucky, but your wort is considered 'vulnerable' before you get the yeast in and everything sealed up.

DO NOT throw it out....let it finish fermenting and taste your samples. If you've made homebrew before you should be able to taste any infection that might have crept in....and there may well be none.

Hey Kimbo,

It should all work out fine, sounds just like my brew from last night. after the getting the kit on the boil and all the hop boiling my wort was also 38. I just filled the laundry sink with cold water and sat it in there stirring occasionally for an hour or so. came down to 26 so I pitched.
I also have had no airlock activity so far.........but like carniebrew says, who cares ! I too have had decent beer with no blooping.

dont stress man !!!

Have a beer instead !

It's fermenting dude. What was the sg before you got the 1040 or is that what it was supposed to be?

first time I have taken a reading before pitching, from what I have read it seems to be what the SG is suppose to be.

:) Thanks everyone for the advice, seems like I have no need to worry. will take a reading tomorrow and see what its doing.

Notes for next time..knock the top off one before stressing :lol: .

You might be able to relate to Nick JD's piece from the other day. ;)

AUSTRALIAN KIT & KILO HOMEBREW LAGER

Appearance: Very pale straw to pale gold colour. White head (possible floaties). Carbonation flat to medium to high depending on patience. Clarity ranges from bright, to GUSHER, quick get it in the glass!

Aroma: Little to no malt aroma. Slight metallic taste. Hop aroma may range from low to none and may have hints of oxidisation. Very fruity
aromas from yeast fermented at 30C. Diacetyl, acetaldehyde, fusel alcohols all totally acceptable.

Flavour: Dry flavour with high levels of twang. Hop flavour may range from none to none to none. Hop bitterness low to ghastly sweet. Balance can vary from slightly unbalanced to slightly bitter, but is usually close to wrong. Some diacetyl, acetaldehyde, fusel alcohols, lactic acid, acetic acid acceptable ... almost essential to the style. Please, for the love of God serve it cold.

Mouthfeel: Low to low medium with the back of the tongue curling with the twang. Well carbonated to flat. Some examples can explode in the bottle due to hydrometer incompetance or bottle infection. Slight carbonic bite on tongue is pleasurable after the twang subsides.
Overall Impression: Gives the impression of being beer.

Vital Statistics:
OG: 1040-1100 (when 3kg of sugar dumped in)
FG: 1004-1010 (1.001 when natural lacto or aceto infection [not uncommon to the style in some cases])
IBU: 10-20
ABV: 4.2-9.5%

Commercial Examples: Not commercially viable.

The advice I always got from the old brew guy down the road was that if it ferments out, and you get something that is alcoholic. Drink it. If it tastes like sh1te then you can spend that time thinking about how you can improve the process. As you continue to drink you can start contemplating the universe, try and measure the height of candle flames, or try and ride your tiger/cat around the back yard. Either way the beer is doing its job albeit through a poor taste.

Drink the bad stuff. It makes you appreciate the good stuff.

Yep... Just let it sit... try to keep it n a coolish room if ya can though... leave it a week or two longer than you'd think... i always find this helps clear it all up and it should taster better for it.

Hope this helps....

Cheers

Tony

1. If you're letting your wort cool down before pitching DON'T leave the lid open. Especially if you're leaving it over night. The tiny difference to the speed of cooling that leaving the lid open may effect is completely outweighed by the chance of infection of such a long period of being open to the elements.

2. Unless you're 110% sure your fermenter and the wort is sterile (i.e. it's probably not) don't leave it to cool down over night. The reason you want to pitch yeast asap is that the yeast needs to get a head start to out compete any nasty wild yeasts or other bugs. Leaving it for such a long time (especially with the lid open) is giving the bad bugs the head start over the yeast.

3. As others have said the airlock not bubbling doesn't really mean anything. Think about it this way. The airlock is a cheap bit of plastic that has some water in it. Your hydrometer on the other hand is a carefully calibrated scientific instrument. As you said, the airlock hasn't bubbled but your hydrometer is showing a 20pt gravity decrease in 4 days. Which do you think is a better indication of activity?

4. So in summary, it was a clumsy start, but your hydrometer is showing you that yeast are eating sugar, so your beer is fermenting. So no.. don't throw out your fermenting beer, that would be silly.

5. RDWHAHB (relax don't worry have a home brew)

Y U NO RTFP?

(sorry slowly catching up on my Sunday Session podcasts)

OK, well after so long and still getting a reading of 1020 and the brew smelt very
yeasty and looking like it is on the border of mold...I have given up AGAIN. :(
seems its not my forte, will leave it to the pro's :D

So if there is anyone in the Craigmore or surrounding suburbs that would
like extra equipment or know someone who wants to set up then its for sale.

$55 the lot - BARGAIN. :icon_cheers:

1 x brewing container 25 litre with tap, airlock and temp strip
1 x 20 litre water container with tap, air lock and temp strip
(used as secondary fermenter) hydrometer and the testing tube.
60+ 750 ml dark plastic bottles (good cond kept inside)
can of coopers pale ale unopened = extra pkt brewing yeast
brewing enhancer #2 (suited for the pale ale)
2 capping machines. one bench and one hand held + 3/4 bag of caps.
all you have to do is wash and sterilize the container and your away
I will even throw in a 3/4 bottle of Milton sterilizing solution.
all from a smoke free home. call 0450588980

will have to finish what I have bottled tho :chug:

Kimbo,

did you also give up on the ladies after the first couple didn't work out?

Cheers,
D80

OK, well after so long and still getting a reading of 1020 and the brew smelt very
yeasty and looking like it is on the border of mold...I have given up AGAIN. :(
seems its not my forte, will leave it to the pro's :D
Mate if you're going then farewell, but it seems all you did wrong here is not cool your wort quickly enough. For the sake of $3.95 at 7-Eleven you could have bought a bag of ice, put it in the laundry sink half full of water and sat your wort in there until it reached 22ish degrees, would have only taken 10 minutes. Then you never would have had to pitch that bakers yeast, and your beer would be fine.

Back