Ood Yeast?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SerLung

Reaction score
A few months back I bought 2 tins of ESB Czech Pislner - it come with packets of Saflager s-23 yeast (yellow packet).

I've been busy and haven't got around to putting the brew on. The yeast expires "12 2011".

Question is - is a month OOD OK to use? or will the yeast be no good?

Also: I've got a yeast starter bottle (come with the kegs I just bought) - not really sure how/what to do with it?

Cheers,

Matt

Being 1 month past the expire date will not mean all the yeast have suddenly died, it's a gradual process from when they were first packed.
There will be very little difference between using the yest now or last month.
However, it's likely that a fair amount of yeast has already died, so I'd suggest using both packets (as a minimum, or make a starter) to ensure that you have enough viable yeast.

As with anything out of date, you take a punt. I'd buy new yeast personally or make a starter as suggested by Wolfy.

As for your bottle - look up making a starter using the google search function on this forum (just above the default serach function)

As for Ood:

Last edited by a moderator:
it depends on how the yeast has been treated, if it was in ambient temps most of the time i would prove it in luke warm water before pitching to a starter.

After a couple of years away from brewing back in July, my first beer used yeast that was at least two years ood. I just made a starter (it was a lager anyway), to test the viability.

I fired up a refridgerated 2 year ood up recently without issue.

edit un edit

As with anything out of date, you take a punt. I'd buy new yeast personally or make a starter as suggested by Wolfy.

As for your bottle - look up making a starter using the google search function on this forum (just above the default serach function)

As for Ood:

thanks for the link, loved Bill Bailey in Black Books

327px-Ood.jpg
<--Ood

personally, I would rather toss it and buy a new packet

Last edited by a moderator:
Just make a 2L starter and you'll be fine...

or buy more yeast... which could almost work out cheaper than the DME for the starter ;)

Back