Online recipe storage

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chull

Reaction score
Just wondering how you guys store recipes, I'm looking to store mine online but want to be able to access them anywhere anytime, from a PC, iPhone or iPad!

Box, Drop Box, iCloud etc etc

Simple ol' Gmail works pretty good for such things. Assuming you just mean text files of some description, of course.

If you want some application that will do the recipe generationy stuff across all those platforms you're probably gonna have to make it yourself.

BeerSmith has a Cloud feature to store your recipe files online, you can access them from any computer as a web page or download them to any computer as a beersmith .bsmx file.

BeerSmithrecipe

AndrewQLD said:
BeerSmith has a Cloud feature to store your recipe files online, you can access them from any computer as a web page or download them to any computer as a beersmith .bsmx file.

BeerSmithrecipe
Its a shame it's not integrated into the software.

I use Evernote (free app). Document can be modified on phone, tablet, PC - a handy feature for when I'm researching and designing a recipe. (Which I'm doing for the first time).

I also use it for my brewing observations, tasting note and "lessons". It's a good way of keeping everything together and searchable.

phoneyhuh said:
Its a shame it's not integrated into the software.
It is, there's a cloud folder on the left hand side of the screen when you open beersmith, any recipe that you add to the folder is automatically uploaded to the cloud site and stored in your profile.
Any recipes on the site that you want for yourself can be stored in your cloud profile and when you open BeerSmith they will download to your cloud folder automatically.

AndrewQLD said:

BeerSmithrecipe
Wow. That's pretty cool. I assumed the cloud storage advertised when the new version came out would be in-application.

Thanks for the correction.

It's also great for brew day when integrated with beersmiths mobile phone app, no more running back and forth between the house computer and the shed to record details.

The only problem is you can only store 10 recipes with a free account. It'll be good when they have a fully functional beersmith app that you can create as well as view recipes.

Basic free account gives you 15 free recipe storage, although I agree it would be nice to have a free account with more space $9.99 for a year with 125 spots is something I can handle.

Ah, I'm living in the past then! It was 10 when they launched it. Hopefully it will keep growing - I'm a bit of a tightarse and for the price of the software I'd expect to be able to save at least 50 recipes for free.

You don't really know the true cost of online storage, do you? Google have skewed the game in their own favour by providing near limitless fail safe storage for free, but you can't use that for commercial purposes. I consider ten bucks per year good value, if you're making use of it.

I like Drive okay but I find it is a prick to use with non-native files. Especially with the new interface they added for them last week. Awful.

But the "preview" shows you the whole thing anyway. I have no idea what they are doing. Google are normally UI BOSSES but they screwed the pooch on this one.

Back