Online Ordering Nz Hops

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
anyone know how much you can lug back in a bag through Customs?

Im headed over there next week and am thinking I can snap up some and fill a bag to bring back?

Yob

Mate who brought mine back was very selective this trip, last trip over it got around the ridges that he was "carrying" (he's a club member who will remain nameless) and he got swamped with orders and ended up carting back around 15 kilos :p - AFAIK he had no trouble with customs on that occasion.

You can get them in half kilo blocks I believe.

anyone know how much you can lug back in a bag through Customs?

Im headed over there next week and am thinking I can snap up some and fill a bag to bring back?

Yob

Pellets OK just remember you need to apply for an import permit (about $150 or so from memory) for the importation of flowers from NZ

ED: http://www.aqis.gov.au/icon32/asp/ex_casec...;LogSessionID=0 - Pellets are covered under the standard worldwide pellets importation which does not require the permit

Being reluctant to buy small 100g quantities, I have been searching for somewhere to get 1kg each of Citra & Motueka for a price better than homebrew retail. It appears that NZ hops are not common with USA wholesalers. Any ideas?

Hopco have both, but they only deal in 5kg lots.

If you don't mind my asking do you know if they ship to the states? No US wholesalers have any New Zealand Nelson Sauvin and I would be interested in getting more of that too (I have a small amount so it's just in 2oz packs for $5.50/each limited to 8 packs per customers and it's going quick). Thanks!

Also, thanks for the feedback on this thread we greatly appreciate it and love our Aussie customers :) Cheers!

If you don't mind my asking do you know if they ship to the states? No US wholesalers have any New Zealand Nelson Sauvin and I would be interested in getting more of that too (I have a small amount so it's just in 2oz packs for $5.50/each limited to 8 packs per customers and it's going quick). Thanks!

Also, thanks for the feedback on this thread we greatly appreciate it and love our Aussie customers :) Cheers!

Maybe contact NZ Hops as I am in NZ and a lot of the NZ shops are out again of Sauvin also. Otherwise make contact with Brewshop.co.nz and enquire but they also probably deal with NZ Hops direct.

New Zealand has legislation to govern the sale of it's hops. Nzhops.co.nz is your only option to get straight to the source. They list that they sell 5, 20 and 25kg bags of T90 pellets. Is that to your liking? http://www.nzhops.co.nz/products/pellets.html

T90 pellets = 5, 20, 25kg bags
Cone hops = 135 kg of baled cone hops or 15kg minivac pockets (or 3 x 5kg).

Read the paragraphs below, specifically the bit in red. The last sentance (in green) will be of importance to our American friends.

"The New Zealand Hop Marketing Board is a statutory body set up under the Hop Marketing Regulations 1939 and amendments.

FUNCTIONS AND RESPONSIBILITIES

The Board handles the marketing and promotes the sales of all hops grown in New Zealand. The New Zealand Hop Marketing Board's functions are to regulate and control the marketing of hops in New Zealand and overseas. All hops produced in New Zealand are handled for the Board by New Zealand Hop Products Ltd, a public company in which every hop grower is a shareholder. This Company tests, grades and cool stores the hops as they are sent in by growers. The majority of the hops are then pelleted. The Board negotiates each year with brewers for their requirements and arranges export contracts for the balance of the crop after reserving a small percentage to be packeted for home brewing. The Board has its own Export Director who travels overseas arranging export contracts."

From: New Zealand Hop Marketing Board: http://www.justice.govt.nz/publications/gl...ard-new-zealand

New Zealand Hop Products Ltd = nzhops.co.nz

Contact them. CASE CLOSED.

Thanks folks, I'll look more into this. Past 2am here, time for bed, cheers!

I know it's an old thread, but thought I'd add my experiences. I took a trip to Nelson recently and toured the Motueka hop gardens. On the way back into town, I asked to stop off at the NZ Hops HQ.

Speaking to the lady at the desk, she said they were shying away from the homebrew market because it was too small. Their only client was Ross at Craftbrewer. Despite that, they sold me 100g bags over the counter at the reception desk (same packaging as in the picture earlier in this thread). The larger volumes were incredibly cheap, per gram, compared to the 100g bags, which were already really cheap $5.00NZD. I brought back only 400grams total, regrettably, due to space.

No troubles coming back into Australia - the customs guy understood immediately what hop pellets were and waved us right through. The NZ Hops lady did print me a customs certification document however, just in case I ran into any trouble.

The hop growers won't sell direct as it undermines the strength of the co-operative, so NZ Hops is the only place to purchase.

All hops produced in New Zealand are handled for the Board by New Zealand Hop Products Ltd, a public company in which every hop grower is a shareholder.

I get what you are saying Paul but it really is a co-operative. If only more Australian and New Zealand agricultural producers could be price makers instead of price takers then the agricultural industry would be faring a lot better. Don't you think that more money to the producers is better than the middle men stuffing their wallets? Good on them I say.

We can get NZ hops in Aus through Ellerslie ect cheaper than the homebrewers there can get them.

I have a mate over there who told me so last week after looking at some aussie prices.

Hi, new to this site and home brewing - interested in getting some different N.Z hops - have accessed some through craftbrewer but was after Riwaka? Can anyone help?

Hi, new to this site and home brewing - interested in getting some different N.Z hops - have accessed some through craftbrewer but was after Riwaka? Can anyone help?

Put your name on the reserve list in the topic linked above, (and have a read) if there is sufficient supply you will be included, where abouts are you?

Put your name on the reserve list in the topic linked above, (and have a read) if there is sufficient supply you will be included, where abouts are you?
Sorry to sound such a goose but can't find "link" to read and add name to. I am computer literate but I hate to admit this is the first forum/blog I have used. I have a lot to learn and no better way than to liason with fellow brewers!! I live in Koonwarra, South Gippsland, Vic.

Thanks very much. Sorry took so long to acknowledge but have had a bit of trouble navigating round site since been updated. :unsure: Clicked on link but says "oops" bla bla - not recognised. never mind will keep trying :blink:

Latest posts

Back