Online Hbs

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GSRman

Reaction score
I'm looking at buying some bulk exctract, hops and a few other bits and pieces, soon im going to put together a bit of a list and going shopping.

I'm in the ACT so postage is definately a consideration, but i'd like to know what online stores people have used, and thought were good / cheap / etc...

I am in Victoria and have ordered from
Grumpys in Adelaide
Grape and Grain in Victoria
You could try Tom at the Jovial Monk in Adelaide, I'm sure he will do a good deal for you as well as pass on heaps of good advice.

Mark

Colin Marshall at "brew your own at home" has a very good name so far as ACT brewing is concerned. I've had excellent service from ESB and grain and grape. Last time I checked - bulk hops from g&g were better priced than from ESB.

cheers
reg

I have a mate that orders from the Country Brewer all the time and takes advantage of the free shipping.
He doesn't live all that far from the store, but just can't get there when it is open.
He says he gets prompt delivery too.

Cheers,
Doc

reg: ive been out to see colin, but basicly, its very hard for me to get there.. its a 20 min drive, and i usually only get 1/2 hour lunch breaks...

hmmm i was looking at grain and grape, but the shipping on ~30kg worth of stuff would probably make the difference between buying it from one of the places that ships for free :)

Pete,
Will you freight for free to Brisbane also??? I am after about 5 bags of grain....

rob

Another vote for ESB - the Peakhurst one www.esbeer.com.au Great store, reasonable postage costs and good knowledge.

I understand that they set up Eastern Suburbs Brewing (aka ESB Randwick) then sold the store and set usp ESB (to keep something of the name)... If they'd done that while I was working at the Business Names Register I'd have had a word about the confusion that was bound to arise... however, people in the community seem to know who they're dealing with.

Also my mates from the Northern Suburbs of Sydney have only good things to say about the country brewer... Free shipping to the ACT sounds sweet too :)

I think that Mel Robson of Peakhurst had both stores running together then sold the Randwick shop. At one stage the Randwick store was managed by Regan Pallandi (who went on to work as a brewer at MSB and who created their wheat beer recipe).

cheers
reg

okay then, who wants to help me put together a shopping list..

I want to be able to make (say) 5 - extract, + steeped grain type beers, i already have a secondary fermenter, etc etc, but any equipment i dont have you may need to mention..

i want to spend ~ $100-200

suggestions (at the moment i only have one recipie that im dying to make, (and i dont have it to hand))

i figure buying some semi-bulk style packs would be a good sort of start?

so

28kg LME
? hops 500g?
? hops 500g?

Thanks for the history Reg. It's good to know how the beer community works :)

GSRman, it's hard to know what to buy unless you have an idea of the beers you want to brew!

I planned a wit, a Pale Ale, Amber Ale, Doppel Bock and a "leavings beer".

I bought a 28Kg pail of LME (bought light LME figuring I could always add colour with grains, but not remove it :))
3.5Kg of Crystal Malt (for colour and body in just about every brew)
1.7Kg ESB Wheat Malt extract for the wit
500g wheat malt (grain) for the wit and additions for other brews
500g Pale Chocolate Malt
3Kg caramunich
600g munich
150g smoked
(weird sizes due to swapping with friends who bought bulk in other varieties)
Then I bough cascade, saaz and Perle hops. Maybe not the best choices in hops in terms of matching the styles exactly... but I bought what I liked :)
WLP001 California Ale Yeast.
Safale (backup)
Saflager (for the Bock)

That should give you an idea. Work out some grains that'll compliment a few styles and work out what overlaps. Make a list from that.

I thought for a WIT you used some unmalted ingredients

GSRMan

I would buy the following:

28kg of Light LME from Grumpys $85.00
1 or 2 of their kits to try out and get fee freight.
1 kg of cracked light xtal, xtal, choc, black patent and roasted barley.
2kg of a pale malt grain.

Then from Grain & Grape order 1 kg of Hop Pellets
You get choose upto 5 varieties...ie 200gms each and i would choose the following:
Cascade - American
Goldings - English
Saaz - Check
POR - Australian
Northern brewer or fuggles or New Zealand Hop (cant remeber the name but needed for steinlager)

With this you will be able to brew almost anything

Will also need to buy a snap on lidded fermenter with a honey tap for the LME. All this you should get for approx $200.00 or just over.

Colin does the fermenters with the honey tap for approx $55.00.

Hope this helps....

Ken...

therook said:
I thought for a WIT you used some unmalted ingredients
Yeah. It really needs unmalted wheat and some candied sugar... I guess what I made would be a weizen flavoured with corriander and orange rind. Tastes good, tho ;)

Hmmmm well 3 beers i wish to make..

a Porter, (of some sort)
a Suffolk ale (waiting on the recipe now)
Irish ale (well, something red and creamy, kilkenny esq)

any more input?

www.grumpys.com.au have an extract reipe for Kilkenny

Rook

Well this is how the order is coming together so far, (theres a couple of extras just chucked in there... so i can have a look/smell/play )

honey tap

28kg LME
1kg Amber
2kg Crystal
2kg light Crystal
2kg Caramunich
2kg Pale
500g chocolate
500g roast barley
500g wheat malt

a liquid yeast of some sort

probably 4 or 5 types of hops..

any thoughts?

With the honey gate, look up "beekeeping equipment" in your state on www.whitepages.com.au. Call around a couple stores and find the cheapest. Usually they're marked up a fair bit when sold at a HBS.

Your list sounds a lot like my stock at the moment :)

Back