Online Brewshop With Cheapest Postage For Tiny Items?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

slash22000

Stereotypical Lupulin Addict
Reaction score
G'day all,

Unfortunately, I have no reliable local brewshop, at all. I'm looking for an online brewshop that I can buy small items from regularly (maybe every 2 weeks or so) without paying $15+ on postage every time for a few dollars/grams worth of product. I need to keep up a steady supply of yeast/hops but don't really have space to store large amounts over a long period of time.

Surely there must be a store in Australia that can post very small items for a couple of bucks? An eBay store maybe? I really don't need a 3KG+ satchel for a few hundred grams of yeast and/or hops. Hell I'm happy if it comes in a 50 cent envelope, as long as it gets here.

AHB, you are my only hope.

absolute homebrew - pat casey

mashematics.net - canberra

Both places have sent me stuff at exactly what it cost them (aus post). Try. Understandably, the larger retailers can't always justify small bespoke orders....

Suggest you get dry yeast in bulk and keep in the fridge (next to no space) and order hops as you go.

Hi Slash,
Something to remember, some of the HBS supply a freezer pack with yeast etc, which all adds cost, so they can find it hard to get postage prices down low.
I dont think any of them try to actively make money from postage pricing.
Also they will likely use at a minimum express post when sending yeast etc so that does not get hot for too long.

Ask the question when you are purchasing, it might be that they are doing it at close to cost, and if you wanted normal postage cost of say 4 or 5 bucks, you might have yeast with no cooling aids sitting in the back of a hot truck for a week before you get it, so the quality might be affected.

Its just worth remembering when you see the price of freight.

Agreeing with PracticalFool - You should maybe buy yeast in larger amounts and have them cooled during transport, but other items could be delivered in a more normal way.

Plan better and buy in bulk rather than ordering every couple of weeks. :)
Once you get over a couple of hundred grams (which is only a couple of packets of hops or similar) it's cheaper - for non local postage - to ship things in the pre-paid Australia Post packs than it is to post them at individual prices - so it's not really the Brew Shop's fault it's just how Australia Post charge for things.

there's corebrewing concepts offer free postage on some items.there's also oz kiosk offering $6.60 postage special and some of their stuff is postage free..only downside ordering online is it's getting warm and yeast/hops don't travel very well

How far to post...
You do not say where you are....
Some one may know a place for you to buy..??Close to you.
PJ

How far to post...
You do not say where you are....
Some one may know a place for you to buy..??Close to you.
PJ

I'll edit my top post appropriately, sorry. I live in Darwin, NT, hence the zero local brewshops. We do have one, technically, but every time I go there there's never any stock of specific ingredients etc I need.

Surely there are other brewers in darwin who face the same issue. bulk buy but do it with the other brewers then you wont have to worry about storing large quantaties.

There are a few Darwinian posters on here. Maybe figure out a bit of a bulk order of yeast and hope with them. Buy bigger/together and save $$.

Australia post just suck when compared to other places but have to remember that its a friggin massive country we live in!

Back