Online Beer Store Expanding To Oz

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rehab

Reaction score
Hi guys,

Not sure if this is the right place to link this but an NZ online beer store is up and running for testing to sell fine beers in OZ. It is open for business for the next few days before proper launch in Jan I believe.

http://www.beercellar.com.au/

if this is the wrong place to put the topic can someone move it?

Cheers (PS No affiliation I just buy from the NZ site)

they don't miss your wallet with the price!

Does indeed. Has beers I'd never thought I would drink again without a long flight. Not cheap though

Not cheap? That's putting it nicely. The cheapest beer on there is a $3.65 mid-strength dark lager. It's $84 a slab. The exact same beer can be found here: http://www.themill.co.nz/buy/6-db-bitter-cans-330ml-12pk.htm for $24 a slab!

I get the feeling this "test site" has just made some numbers up?

When my work put up our "test site" we just put TBA, you put up prices which are like 3-4 times the price you will scare off customers

I now have a Fisher and Paykel clothes dryer, washing machine and fridge - however a couple of questions about New Zealand:

How come they have never adopted the riptop food tin (Watties etc) and you still need to use a can opener?
How come they have never adopted toothpaste tubes with the cap attached so you don't lose it?

I drank some magnificent fresh cask and keg beers when I visited a couple of years ago, but I can't honestly say that there is any NZ bottled beer I would seek out this side of the ditch, with the exception perhaps of Hoprocker when it's on special.

I now have a Fisher and Paykel clothes dryer, washing machine and fridge - however a couple of questions about New Zealand:

How come they have never adopted the riptop food tin (Watties etc) and you still need to use a can opener?
How come they have never adopted toothpaste tubes with the cap attached so you don't lose it?

I drank some magnificent fresh cask and keg beers when I visited a couple of years ago, but I can't honestly say that there is any NZ bottled beer I would seek out this side of the ditch, with the exception perhaps of Hoprocker when it's on special.

Whaaaat? I refuese to believe anyones opinion could be so wrong! ;) Anything by 8 wired is amazing, closely followed by yeastie boys pot kettle black! There's a lot of difficult to obtain US and scando beers there too!

Um...their website shows the content then hides it once it realises that you have JavaScript disabled. So then you allow two layers of JavaScript (none of which is required to actually render the page as I have already seen it). The site then still refuses to work until you allow Facebook access to JavaScript.

Pretty awful webpage. Make sure you're logged out of FB first just in case, guys.

I emailed them about their prices, and they got back to me straight away claiming that they're absolutely real. DB Bitter is $80 odd a slab because that's the cost of shipping, import/export taxes and GST in Australia apparently.

Good luck to anyone who wants to pay that much for a mid-strength local brew just to get a taste o' home.

Not cheap? That's putting it nicely. The cheapest beer on there is a $3.65 mid-strength dark lager. It's $84 a slab. The exact same beer can be found here: http://www.themill.co.nz/buy/6-db-bitter-cans-330ml-12pk.htm for $24 a slab!

I get the feeling this "test site" has just made some numbers up?

Whilst there is a significant price difference between the two you noted (same product)...Im pretty certain the BeerCellar.com.au is in AUS$ while the Mill website is in NZ dollars.
DB Bitter is horrible stuff anyway, so even at the cheaper price, you still shouldnt buy it!

Unfortunately the exchange rate does not favour NZ to AUS...

Generally speaking booze is cheaper here in NZ than it is in AUS...due to excise Taxes etc. I found buying (decent) beer in Aussie recently quite dear...$14AUS for 4pk of Vale IPA (roughly $18NZ)...where as Epic over here would be around $13 or $14NZ for 4pk.

I even used to work at the Mill and we sold VB and Carlton here cheaper than it was in AUS without even the exchange rate!!

The site in NZ is fairly successful, so I hope it does well in AUS too...its great to make available beers that wouldnt normally be seen in Shops etc...even if they are a bit more expesnive.

bottom of the page: All prices are shown in Australian Dollars.

EDIT: beaten to it.

... beer in Aussie ...

PSA mate, could you do us a favour and let your fellow Kiwi's know that Aussie means "from Australia".
The people are Aussie, we love an Aussie sunburnt country and a good Aussie beer, and have an Aussie sense of humour, but the Country itself is Aus, or Oz, or 'Straya.

I'm on the phone with your lot every day and it grates on my soul. If you could imagine a million nails slowly grinding down a chalkboard and then condensed down into the space of a single word, misuse of "Aussie" is about one third as bad as that.

Cheers mate.

it's like saying "beer in kiwi".

(I'm not sure how much beer you could fit in a Kiwi. Maybe a throwdown?)

some prices are about what my closest decent bottle shop has ie epic and 8 wired around the 14-15 buck mark.
but $52 for a 6er of ballast point ipa when dans has them for about 20 is ridiculous. would be keen on a 6er of dogfish head 60 or 90 minute ipa tho. never seen that for sale in OZ

PSA mate, could you do us a favour and let your fellow Kiwi's know that Aussie means "from Australia".
The people are Aussie, we love an Aussie sunburnt country and a good Aussie beer, and have an Aussie sense of humour, but the Country itself is Aus, or Oz, or 'Straya.

I'm on the phone with your lot every day and it grates on my soul. If you could imagine a million nails slowly grinding down a chalkboard and then condensed down into the space of a single word, misuse of "Aussie" is about one third as bad as that.

Cheers mate.

Wow, talk about sensitive!
Before you whine about another's grammar, you may want to correct yours. Kiwi's is possessive, not plural.

Um...their website shows the content then hides it once it realises that you have JavaScript disabled. So then you allow two layers of JavaScript (none of which is required to actually render the page as I have already seen it). The site then still refuses to work until you allow Facebook access to JavaScript.

Pretty awful webpage. Make sure you're logged out of FB first just in case, guys.

First thing I noticed as well. Too pricey for me as well.

Latest posts

Back