One Way Valves Are Good Mmmkay

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jgriffin

Reaction score
Hands up those who think i may have found the reason the last 3 beers of mine have gotten infected in the keg??

reg.jpg

Hi JG,
Is that in the regulator?

I loaned my reg (I have two) to a guy who I think hooked it up incorrectly and got beer inside it. It now reads varying pressures all the time.

Cheers

Yeah it was my reg. Full of rust and growth caused by beer being blown back into the reg.

How hard are they to pull apart?

spew.gif
That doesn't look real good John

hopefully that's the only source of your infections

OK GMkenterprises ( Tarzan Yell ) to the rescue; i will do u agood deal on a new reg and a ether a brand new check valve or a near new check valve...

I have just PMed u with the details.

dicko said:
How hard are they to pull apart?
[post="53610"][/post]​

Can these regulators be cleaned and repaired?
and
How difficult are they to pull apart?

Any input would be appreciated!

Cheers

whats a check vavle worth GMK? looks like it might be a good investment.

Dicko - it was easy to pull apart, but the seals were stuffed, and the relief valve had a lead thingy on it that you had to cut to remove. They can be revuilt apparently, but i bet the kits are bloody hard to get, and i wonder if it's worth it - one lost bottle of gas is near $40.

Thanks JG,

Yes, some time ago I asked BOC for a kit to re seal another type of reg (not beer related) and apparently the kit was available but they would not sell it because they claimed it has to be installed by them.
I just wonder if I pulled mine apart and cleaned it, then it may be OK.
I might give it a go, after all I have nothing to lose.
In reality I can't see the difference between a qualified fitter overhauling the regulator at his home workshop or a qualified fitter doing the same job in their own workshop, unless there is special testing equipment involved.
Maybe someone on this forum will throw some light upon the mysteries of fitting a seal kit to a CO 2 regulator.

Cheers

jgriffin said:
Hands up those who think i may have found the reason the last 3 beers of mine have gotten infected in the keg??
[post="53604"][/post]​

Bugger.
Did you ever see beer going back up the gas line ?
Do you force carbonate by rocking/shaking the kegs ?

Beers,
Doc

That looks really bad.
So how does that happen to your reg??

cheers
johnno

Doc said:
jgriffin said:
[post="53604"][/post]​

Bugger.
Did you ever see beer going back up the gas line ?
Do you force carbonate by rocking/shaking the kegs ?

Beers,
Doc
[post="53668"][/post]​

yeah, managed to put the gas line on the wrong disconnect on an over-carbonated beer. Bloody thing got stuck too.

After I saw that picture I got a bit paranoid about my reg, so I went and pulled it all apart to check. Lucky its stills clean, but I did wonder one thing. If none of the internals of the regulator are sterilised, including the hoses to the keg, could it not breed and potential infection anyway.
Does anybody else worry that this might happen?

I was very tempted to give everything inside a spray with sanitiser but decided it might not be good for the reg.

Maybe the co2 line should have a check valve and a sterile filter too, or is that just going overboard.

vlbaby.

Check Valves are 18.50 ea brand new....

Do the back check valves attach at the regulator or inline?

Will have to order one with my reg me thinks!

Matt

That looks ugly. I bought a one way valve of GMK a while back and still haven't connected it. Thanks for the wake up call.

Back