One Of 'those' Questions

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

woodwormm

Reaction score
I've seen a cheap 75litre aluminium pot... ($50)

I know there's a whole debate on ally vs stainless. but my jury's still out on that one. i'm not fully against ally.

Is a pot like that worth getting to have a play around with stepping into BIAB or AG, even to do double extract batches.. make it more time efficient to brew double at once...

If i decide to upgrade to a stainless kettle then would this ally pot be suitable as a HLT? therefore viewing the purchase now as an investment in future setups.... if not i've only blown $50 (less than a carton of shop beer)

Yep, if it's a decent pot, it's definitely worth getting for $50.

Why is the jury out on ali? The only downside is not being able to use harsh caustics/acids to clean and sanitize it, and that's not much of a downside for a kettle.

Why is the jury out on ali? The only downside is not being able to use harsh caustics/acids to clean and sanitize it, and that's not much of a downside for a kettle.

You can get away with most metals on hot side stuff. You don't need to sanitise. Go ali kettle!

unless there's an obvious flaw with the pot, i'd be buying it quickly if it was me.

My entire rig (single vessel recirculating BIAB) is a 60lt aluminium pot. Awesome.

buy it, used a alloy kettle for a while and well I cant remember the rest :p jk's if its solid then go for it mine is prob 5mm thick as alloy is more pron to warping so needs to be thick but the heat transfer is better (why SS uses a sandwich of SS alloy and SS to have more even heat distribution)

unless there's an obvious flaw with the pot, i'd be buying it quickly if it was me.

My entire rig (single vessel recirculating BIAB) is a 60lt aluminium pot. Awesome.

Big nath, I looked at ur utube ink and ur rig looks like a ss kettle and a ally basket?

Also is there a video of it brewing? Do you wrap it during mash? Or does it recirc to maintain temp?

Also can u run both elements on one powerpoint /circuit without popping fuses?

Back