One Mild, 2 Yeast'

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mje1980

Old Thunder brewery
Reaction score
Ok, so i brewed a double batch of mild. Standard for me really haha. But, i had nothing in kegs, and pitched one with US05 as i had no UK yeast. I got some 1098, and pitched the 2nd batch with this. I had a comparison yesterday with both kegged beers, and my goodness, what a difference a yeast makes!!. Much more maltiness, even in the aroma from the 1098. I do like the US05 version, but shit, i fuggen love the 1098 version. I did a similar thing for my brew clubs last Real Ale Festival, and again, i much preferred the Uk ale/ beer engined brown ale.

Rambling sunday arvo lamb roast thoughts!!

Ok, so i brewed a double batch of mild. Standard for me really haha. But, i had nothing in kegs, and pitched one with US05 as i had no UK yeast. I got some 1098, and pitched the 2nd batch with this. I had a comparison yesterday with both kegged beers, and my goodness, what a difference a yeast makes!!. Much more maltiness, even in the aroma from the 1098. I do like the US05 version, but shit, i fuggen love the 1098 version. I did a similar thing for my brew clubs last Real Ale Festival, and again, i much preferred the Uk ale/ beer engined brown ale.

Rambling sunday arvo lamb roast thoughts!!

Thats handy to hear, i have 1098 in the fridge but haven't ever used it. was planning an ESB dry hopped with nelson sauvin and have heard scary things about it (nelson - haven't used nelson either) in that it can be overpowering if not used wisely. the 1098 should balance it out then, i guess, with a chewy grain bill :)

I had about 1% spec b in my mild. That's all the crystal, the rest was 2% each choc and black, the rest ashburne mild malt.

Wow, 1% crystal in a mild!

The mild in the glass next to me uses 9% each Simpsons dark crystal, caramel rye and golden naked oats, and I love it. I did a triple batch, pitched this with Nottingham and have two other cubes and will pitch one with 1469 and the other with 1187. It is a testimony to the radical recipe differences possible in the versatile style.

I am really looking forward to the other two kegs coming online because I really think mild needs a good estery yeast to back it up and enhance the nose in the absence of finishing hops.

I normally go around 10% crystal,but wanted to experiment. I brew lots of mild, i love it. I used to add 7% of biscuit too, yum!!.

That definately sounds character packed mate!.

Back