One Big Fridge.

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

The Mad Hopper

Reaction score
So, here's the deal. I have two fermenting fridges. One is perfectly functional, the other, not so much. I was wondering if it is possible to drill a couple of holes through the side of each, run some ducting or some other kind of tubing between the two, stick in a fan (for circulation) and then have two fermenting fridges?

Has anyone attempted anything like this? Am I going to destroy a perfectly good fridge?

I assume it would be possible as long as you are careful and don't damage any of the internals in the walls of the fridge. It would put more strain on the working fridge as it would have a larger volume to cool.

Yes u can do it. Add a fan to help direct the cold air... But you'll burn ur fridge out. The motor is only made to cool a certain size, not double the size.

Ur better off using the semi dead fridge with frozen water bottles in it to bring the temp down

Yes u can do it. Add a fan to help direct the cold air... But you'll burn ur fridge out. The motor is only made to cool a certain size, not double the size.

Ur better off using the semi dead fridge with frozen water bottles in it to bring the temp down

Would adding a fan (perhaps a couple of 12cm computer case fans) blowing air over the rear coils improve the efficiency of the working fridge enough to prevent it burning out the compressor?

If the fridge was only ever planned as a fermenting fridge I don't see burning out being a problem. A normal fridge is happy running at 4 degrees. So double the space but run it at 15 degrees and the motor may run a similar amount.

You would want at least two pipes between the two fridges. Perhaps one high up one low down. A computer fan in each one, one blowing one sucking and you would have great circulation. Also ensure very good sealing and insulation and you shouldn't have many issues.

But like others have said, be very careful where you cut. A lot of fridges have the gas pipes running through the walls.

The only time the motor would be seriously stressed is if you tried to cold crash or do very cool lager temps.

Cheers guys.

This is sounding like it would be more cost and effort than getting the broken fridge repaired. I might have someone have a look at it and then reconsider the problem.

Back