One beer Migraine / hangover wtf?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Robbo2234

Reaction score
Wtf is going on?
I have one beer home brew or commercial and the next day I get a splitting head ache that lasts till the evening and feeling crap till after lunch.

I did stop drinking for about 3 weeks while the misses was pregnant but now it's out I have mates wanting to share a beer and I can't do it!

Any one else had this problem? I hope my drinking days are not over!

Drink more and make the hangover worth while?

Could just be withdrawal since you've had a bit of a break, and one beer is then just teasing your body so it gets you back.

I'd be asking my GP rather than seeking medical advice on here! :lol:

Edit: You hadn't been reading any of the AHB political threads like 'Goodbye Bronwyn' while downing one were you? If you had its definitely not the beer causing the migraines!

real_beer said:
I'd be asking my GP rather than seeking medical advice on here! :lol:
^^^THIS. It could be indicating a range of things from liver issues through to B12 deficiency. The quack knows best.

Stop using a yard glass as a measure of 1 beer.....

I just had 1 beer officer

36ecb61f5f40d17c4ae0a12c271b1e37.jpg

Maybe it's that particular homebrew. Do a road test on a commercial brew - if you're feeling up to it. It just sounds like a one off at the moment - like, maybe you hadn't drunk much else that day and your body became too dehydrated.

Robbo2234 said:
Wtf is going on?
I have one beer home brew or commercial and the next day I get a splitting head ache that lasts till the evening and feeling crap till after lunch.

I did stop drinking for about 3 weeks while the misses was pregnant but now it's out I have mates wanting to share a beer and I can't do it!

Any one else had this problem? I hope my drinking days are not over!
I'm curious if it was brew outside what you normally drink. I've had similar issues with red wine - the culprit being either the tannin or S02 I'm tipping, and well aged bourbon / whisky. I'm only taking a glass or two of wine here, and a few shots of spirits. Either feel like hammered shit and / or cracking headache the next day.
Beer or any flavor, no worries.

Might have been the break, depending on how much you drank before that. Working in the wine industry I realised I was drinking WAAAAAY TOOOOO MUUUUUUCH, plus my friends were telling me I was turning into an asshole drunk. I stopped drinking completely for six months just to get my drinking head straight. When I started again I found the same thing with red wine as you have with beer. One sip, instant hangover for the rest of the day. I still can't drink it 7 years later. I even get a headache from tasting and spitting red wine. Beer is no problem, and white wines are fine too.

Might be a similar reaction, although it seems unlikely.

I used to have this issue... for quite a while I'd suffer really bad headaches from just one beer - any type from anywhere... but I persisted (y'know, persistence pays off..) and now I'm right as rain. I'v probably shortened my life span significantly, but at least I can drink a few beers without getting sick :D

It will pass as soon as the Mrs is allowed a drink again, that is literally the only thing that has changed.
Google up on The phenomenon where men suffer sympathy symptoms: Couvade Syndrome.

The only other plausible explanation is Voodoo. Mrs stocked up the sewing kit lately?

Disclaimer: I am not a doctor.

Cheers,
D80

Diesel80 said:
It will pass as soon as the Mrs is allowed a drink again, that is literally the only thing that has changed.
Google up on The phenomenon where men suffer sympathy symptoms: Couvade Syndrome.

The only other plausible explanation is Voodoo. Mrs stocked up the sewing kit lately?

Disclaimer: I am not a doctor.

Cheers,
D80
Couvade syndrome, also called sympathetic pregnancy, is a proposed condition in which a partner experiences some of the same symptoms and behavior of an expectant mother. These most often include minor weight gain, altered hormone levels, morning nausea, and disturbed sleep patterns.

I'm still struggling to get my pre baby physique back.

Ducatiboy stu said:
I have 3 of them..... :ph34r:
So long as they're for novelty purposes you're fine. Kind of like having a bong collection.

Latest posts

Back