One Base Malt?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Apologies for digging up an old thread, but I have exact same thoughts atm.... Now that I've crossed the dark side into BIAB side of things, I'm looking for One Base Malt myself.
I tend to like dark-ish Lager / Ale types, typically mid-strength - so add ons like CaraAroma takes care of that but I'm still not sure which full bag of Base Malt to get? I'm sort of leaning towards Gladfields' Vienna or their Ale grains... I've read good and bad things about JW's offerings - I'm not sure if the same goes for JW these days?
Cheers!

Vienna or ale malts are a good choice if you only want to stock one. Both are very versatile and if darker beers are your preference you could even go Munich 1, but it isn't as versatile and alot maltier IMO. It depends alot on flavour outcomes you want.

Vienna malt can provide a bit more body than most ale malts and gives a residual honey sweetness. Gladfields Vienna malt is good (like all their malts), but I think weyermann pips them at the post.

If you like maltier tones from your ale malt then something along the Maris otter ale malt would be my recommendation (which ever brand you can easily get) or Abbey malt from weyermann (I havent personally tried this one but it comes with a reasonable reputation). BB ale is good, as is coopers (a slight biscuit note to it, but restrained maltiness). Gladfields ale malt is also good. Re JW ale, it has been many years since I've used it, but from many recent posts, those that have been using it for a while and make the switch to another maltster (BB for example) notice positive differences with their new choice.

Voyager Veloria. It's my favorite of all time: sits somewhere between Maris Otter and Vienna.

Gladfield Vienna is really good (so is their Ale malt). Golden Promise is also a winner.

Golden Promise. My first choice for American and Scottish ales and second for English ales after MO. Used it once in a lager, an Oktoberfest, and it worked.

I agree with several of the above that Weyermann pils works with specialty malts for ales, but in most English ales I like to keep the grist simple: base, a little crystal, stop.

When I did partials, I was partial to JW Vienna as the base.

Back