On The Trub

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jgriffin

Reaction score
I've currently got a Pilsner (ESB fresh wort + WLP800) in the fridge that's been down for 3 weeks.
Somewhere along the line, i think the fridge got too cold, causing the yeast to drop out, as i got a stuck ferment at 1.030.
I warmed it up to 14C and gav it a good stir, and in the last few days at 10C it's dropped to 1.019.

Now the problem is that i'm worried that if i leave it any longer, that i risk introducing off flavours from the trub, but if i rack it i'm worried that it won't ferment out.

Thoughts? I'd normally just go ahead and do it, but my last couple of brews have been rather ordinary.

JG,

Take it out of the fridge for 24-48 hours for the diacetyl rest(warm up to room temp, 16-18oC). This should get the yeast going again, then rack to your secondary(before cooling back to lager temps).
Now just whack it back in the fridge to 2ndry for 6-8 weeks

Linz is spot on, John. The diacetyl rest will ensure the beer ferments out fully, as well as cleaning up diacetyl. If you can stand the wait, most pilseners benefit from at least 6 weeks lagering at 0-3C.

Cheers - Snow.

Back