On the hop.....

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

amcqueen

Reaction score
Hi guys, I'm looking to brew an American IPA. But just thought I would ask the question in regards to dry hopping on an American IPA brew. The general consensus is that we dryhop 1g per litre. In regard to very hoppy ipas is this rule overlooked for more hoppiness? At what point does it get to too much that it turns it into grassiness? I've also heard of dry hopping twice before racking. What's everyone's thoughts?

Btw. I love a very hoppy IPA.

i dry hopped my last ipa with 20g of cascade and 20g chinook in about a 20 liter batch. is awsome :)

Depends on the beer. I've found 60g of Nelson Sauvin in a summer ale (23 liter) to be very assertive, but 170-200g of Amarillo in a IIPA to be just right.
7-10 days does the trick. Never noticed any grassiness for that amount of contact time.
Experimentation is the name of the game!

It really depends on your taste and also the hops you are using.. 20g each of say galaxy and nelson would be too much for me, however 20. Of Amarillo and cascade (in the right beer) would be awesome to me.. So really depends..

1g/l is the on the low side for AIPAs, IMO (LOLBBQWTF!).

Grassiness will depend on the hop type and length of the dry hopping (time).

As much as i use (and adore) hops like Nelson Sauvin and Galaxy.....

If you're going for an AIPA, then you'd want a big hit of something American and you can't go past the good old fashioned "C" hops.

Things like Cascade, Columbus (also known as Tomahawk), Chinook and Centennial will all be relevant here.

I love Columbus.....fruity, but you get a really nice rose petal fragrance off of it too which is interesting.
Cascade...well, most people like that, so that's probably a good start.
Chinook if you want a little of the spicey, pine thing going on.

They are all to a greater or lesser extent, substitutable (is that a word?) within this style.

And i'd go big with them too. It's supposed to be fairly aggressive..

I've used up to 8g/L safely in a union jack clone, 4g/L over 2 additions. Recently CC'd an IPA with 7g/L and it was tasting fine. When making a recipe I normally aim for at least 5g/L, and then go from there depending on the recipe/how I'm feeling.

Looking through the IPA book recipe section, 8g/L isn't uncommon, though there are many there with a lot less.

Back