On the Beach 2017

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

yankinoz

Reaction score
The balance between war and peace lies in the able hands of Donald Trump and Kim Jong-On. What could possibly go wrong?

yankinoz said:
The balance between war and peace lies in the able hands of Donald Trump and Kim Jong-On. What could possibly go wrong?
All we need now for total annihilation is sage advice from ex-president dubya.

We've written WWIII into future history its like its inevitable. It sucks. One or two madmen to bring it on. Self fulfilling prophecy.
All we can do is keep our fingers crossed.

Danscraftbeer said:
We've written WWIII into future history its like its inevitable. It sucks. One or two madmen to bring it on. Self fulfilling prophecy.
All we can do is keep our fingers crossed.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NbuUW9i-mHs

Ah yes - 'On The Beach'. For those too young to remember, actress Ava Gardner famously described Melbourne as "the perfect place to make a film about the end of the world."

In 1959, Gardner, Gregory Peck, Fred Astaire and Anthony Perkins did just that; they starred in the post-apocalyptic romance film On the Beach, shot in the Melbourne suburb of Frankston.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zbGmAKXJoos

evoo4u said:
Ah yes - 'On The Beach'. For those too young to remember, actress Ava Gardner famously described Melbourne as "the perfect place to make a film about the end of the world."
In 1959, Gardner, Gregory Peck, Fred Astaire and Anthony Perkins did just that; they starred in the post-apocalyptic romance film On the Beach, shot in the Melbourne suburb of Frankston.
Just had to look that up on Wiki. I have got to see that movie now ha

I actually read the book a little while ago as I made my way through all post apocalyptic novels in the local library.

An odd book, interesting take on an impending nuclear end to humanity. Captured the outlook of society at the time it was written in the 50's, if I remember correctly.

No zombies though, but you cant always have zombies.

Trump has so much money he's already got all the perks that come with being a president. Nice cars, big houses, fancy dinners...There's only one thing he's got now that he couldn't buy before, and he just can't resist playing with it.

Seems to me he's playing in a great big video arcade world where reality is just an abstract thought, and if he goes too far, well, he can just hit the "rewind" button, and go back to before the big mistake.

Just one big game really....

The prospect of assured mutual annihilation, during the dark days of the cold war, was somewhat of an assurance that both sides would consider the ramifications on the future of their families and the greater population, and cooler heads would prevail thus preventing nuclear war.

Fast forward to today and we have a dictator with a nuclear arsenal, who wants what he wants, and believes he should just take it. He has no other considerations other than the want and need for more power. So then we're left wondering just how psychologically stable is this bloke?

We (coalition forces) moved on Iraq for less, and rightly so.
I propose we kidnap Jon-Un, hold a snap election and ask the citizens if they would prefer transitioning to a free democratic society or continue living under the Orwellian hellscape necrocracy in which they currently dwell.

Too many years of anti-democratic indoctrination to make that s possibility. NK anti-West propaganda is full on!

Look all I want is to be able to drink my westy12 clone after it's matured some and it not be radio active!

Just sayin

Dave70 said:
We (coalition forces) moved on Iraq for less, and rightly so.
I propose we kidnap Jon-Un, hold a snap election and ask the citizens if they would prefer transitioning to a free democratic society or continue living under the Orwellian hellscape necrocracy in which they currently dwell.

Not sure about rightly so. You mean the search for wmd/smoking gun?

chill out you young úns.

Have faith that there will be no nuclear war ever. Put your hands over your ears and go Lalalalalalala when people talk about a potential apocalypse. Been through this shit since the sixties.

Cos if there is a nuclear war

(a) you'll be able to do nothing about it
(b) you'll die

So, quite philosophically

Drink more beer. Brew more beer.

manticle said:
Not sure about rightly so. You mean the search for wmd/smoking gun?
No. I mean the deposition of the Saddam Hussein and his psychopathic family / regime. Yes, it was a poorly anticipated clusterfuck on our part, power vacuum, sectarian violence etc, but if the most charitable thing we can say of Hussein was that he 'kept a lid on it', then its basically an endorsement or terror. Lets just let mafia thugs and murderers rule, carte blanche . They're still unearthing Kurdish mass graves today, not just fighting age men, kids in their pajamas. **** him.

Jong-On is basically north Asia's Uday Hussein. But with added nukes.
However, I suspect the pea hearted bouffant fatso wouldn't have the minerals to use them offensively. He seems to enjoy his western decadence far to much to see it vaporized. A conventional war would be far more on the cards and give him ample time to hot foot it to Argentina, Latin America or wherever the crimes against humanity posse take their repose nowadays.

Dave70 said:
No. I mean the deposition of the Saddam Hussein and his psychopathic family / regime. Yes, it was a poorly anticipated clusterfuck on our part, power vacuum, sectarian violence etc, but if the most charitable thing we can say of Hussein was that he 'kept a lid on it', then its basically an endorsement or terror. Lets just let mafia thugs and murderers rule, carte blanche . They're still unearthing Kurdish mass graves today, not just fighting age men, kids in their pajamas. **** him.

Jong-On is basically north Asia's Uday Hussein. But with added nukes.
However, I suspect the pea hearted bouffant fatso wouldn't have the minerals to use them offensively. He seems to enjoy his western decadence far to much to see it vaporized. A conventional war would be far more on the cards and give him ample time to hot foot it to Argentina, Latin America or wherever the crimes against humanity posse take their repose nowadays.
He may not use them offensively as you say, but if his invasionary forces were pushed back at the southern boarder by a coalition, he may well decide to light one off on that boarder as/before he bugs out. In the notion of; if I can't have it, no-one will. These kind of people are just school yard bullies who were never taught to play nicely with others with the resources of a nation state. It will be quite interesting to see how other nations that currently support his regime react over the coming weeks.
I would also note it would only take a few more incidents in different areas of the world in which America has vested interest, to really start stretching their military resources. They say don't poke the tiger, but currently the tiger is a little busy and ripe for the poking.

Latest posts

Back