Omg Amarillo Omg

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
OMG.
Amazing at only 3 weeks of age. Best beer I've made of the dozen or so since Xmas. Biggest difference was the hops, I think adding them dry after day 3 made a massive difference to their strength.

Coopers Sparkling kit
1Kg Xlight Liquid Malt ext
500gms Light Dried Malt ext

200gm Caramalt grain in muslin bag, steeped for 30 mins in 3L water
Grains removed and liquid brought to a boil
Add LME and return to boil
12gms Amarillo into the pot for 5 mins on the boil
then into the fermenter
Add remaining bits and kit up to 23L

Pitch Safale 04 english ale yeast at 22C

Add 12gms Amarillo dry hopped into the fermenter on day 3.
Primary for 2 weeks around 18C

OG 1.048
FG 1.014

If you use us-05 you will find that it will bring out a lot more of the amarillo's hoppy aroma's and flavours more clearly and yes Amarillo is unreal I did about 5 American pale ales in a row using it. (I think I was addicted)

Now you're addicted.
Next time, put in 5 times as much. :icon_cheers:

Galaxy, Simcoe, Nelson Sauvin, Citra, Motueka are also good hops to try out if you enjoy Amarillo

I just bought some Galaxy today and have some cascade in the fridge. I've mostly made cascade SNPA type things and looking forwards to playing with the galaxy. Any ideas for a hop combo of galaxy and cascade?
I've only done this single brew with amarillo, definately go back to it!!

I just bought some Galaxy today and have some cascade in the fridge. I've mostly made cascade SNPA type things and looking forwards to playing with the galaxy. Any ideas for a hop combo of galaxy and cascade?
I've only done this single brew with amarillo, definately go back to it!!

What are you bittering with?

I recently did a Brew with Magnum bittering and then 10 of each of Galaxy and cascade (also sub Centennial or Chinook) @ 20, 10, 5 and whirlpool.. smelled pretty good

I like mixing Galaxy with other C hops but galaxy in moderation, too much galaxy can really dominate and get a bit fruity... that said an Amarillo, Galaxy, Citra that I did not so long ago was :icon_drool2:

Yob

I made a batch like this in the extract recipe of De Smurto.

I swear someone stole most of them from my garage as the whole batch lasted about 2 weeks and was gone.

What are you bittering with?

I recently did a Brew with Magnum bittering and then 10 of each of Galaxy and cascade (also sub Centennial or Chinook) @ 20, 10, 5 and whirlpool.. smelled pretty good

I like mixing Galaxy with other C hops but galaxy in moderation, too much galaxy can really dominate and get a bit fruity... that said an Amarillo, Galaxy, Citra that I did not so long ago was :icon_drool2:

Yob
Yob,

I think he only uses the kits for bittering. He will be hooked now that he has steeped some grains, added some flavouring and aroma hops.

Well done to the great sounding beer Brent. Its a slippery slope from here tho.

OMG.
Amazing at only 3 weeks of age. Best beer I've made of the dozen or so since Xmas. Biggest difference was the hops, I think adding them dry after day 3 made a massive difference to their strength.

Coopers Sparkling kit
1Kg Xlight Liquid Malt ext
500gms Light Dried Malt ext

200gm Caramalt grain in muslin bag, steeped for 30 mins in 3L water
Grains removed and liquid brought to a boil
Add LME and return to boil
12gms Amarillo into the pot for 5 mins on the boil
then into the fermenter
Add remaining bits and kit up to 23L

Pitch Safale 04 english ale yeast at 22C

Add 12gms Amarillo dry hopped into the fermenter on day 3.
Primary for 2 weeks around 18C

OG 1.048
FG 1.014

24 Grams total and you're OMG-OMGing?

Next time throw 30g in at 5min and 50g in for the dry hop.

You'll shit your pants when you taste it

Back