oldest cube

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Proteins forming cold break will drop out. You can leave these behind (I don't but I ferment straight in the cube and plate chillers don't - it won't do harm to the brew but may cause chill haze. There are other ways to prevent chill haze). No need to shake it up although a certain amount of the break material can act as a yeast nutrient.

To answer the second question - yes you can reprime but I wouldn't just add a carb drop. Calculate how much you were originally short by and divide that by the number of bottles you have. Multiply that rate by the number you have left, dissolve in solution (boiled water) and syringe the exact dose into each bottle (make the water volume easily calculable like 10 mL per bottle for example).

This is an old thread but I moved house a few times and just had no space or time to ferment two cubes I made a couple of years back. They were identical batches made with diffferent cube hops. Just fermented both side by side with US05 - one is delicious the other tastes a bit odd. Must have had an issue over the storage or something.

This is an old thread but I moved house a few times and just had no space or time to ferment two cubes I made a couple of years back. They were identical batches made with diffferent cube hops. Just fermented both side by side with US05 - one is delicious the other tastes a bit odd. Must have had an issue over the storage or something.
What were the different cube hops? If the cubes were stored together under the same conditions could be that hops in the delicious cube aged better than the odd tasting cube.

What were the different cube hops? If the cubes were stored together under the same conditions could be that hops in the delicious cube aged better than the odd tasting cube.

Yeh thats what I was thinking too - makes sense about the hop age thing, only problem is i cant remember for the life of me what hops I used. Ha ha. The good one has mosaic. Not sure what i used on the other.

Also, its not terrible just has a weird flavour I wasnt expecting kinda like a belgian/phenolic thing. Its acually cleaning up a bit over time on the cake ill keg it anyway and see how it goes. It could be from a weird mashing thing or how quickly this one cooled or lots of things. But same recipe different hops. The colour and malt profile is the same in the glass. I did notice that it kicked off half a day quicker than the other one though when i pitched them both. About 17 deg C constant in my basement.

But in general these things have been sitting for ages and still kept sterile and fermented easily. So looks good from my end for at least 12 months in the cube if needed.

Thanks for the feedback man.

Yeh thats what I was thinking too - makes sense about the hop age thing, only problem is i cant remember for the life of me what hops I used. Ha ha. The good one has mosaic. Not sure what i used on the other.

Also, its not terrible just has a weird flavour I wasnt expecting kinda like a belgian/phenolic thing. Its acually cleaning up a bit over time on the cake ill keg it anyway and see how it goes. It could be from a weird mashing thing or how quickly this one cooled or lots of things. But same recipe different hops. The colour and malt profile is the same in the glass. I did notice that it kicked off half a day quicker than the other one though when i pitched them both. About 17 deg C constant in my basement.

But in general these things have been sitting for ages and still kept sterile and fermented easily. So looks good from my end for at least 12 months in the cube if needed.

Thanks for the feedback man.
I wonder if you ended up collecting more particulate or proteins in the cube that didn't age so well? Thinking the second cube may have picked more of this up at the end of the fill.

I wonder if you ended up collecting more particulate or proteins in the cube that didn't age so well? Thinking the second cube may have picked more of this up at the end of the fill.

Hmmmm hard to say....... Im not very high tech with my fills I usually do it visually so its another very intersesting possibility!?

Just adding to the oldest cube discussion.

Finally got around to fermenting a dark base wort I had cubed around 18 months ago. Had been sitting in he garage so exposed to all of Geelong's finest temperature swings.

I added a little extra light and dark crystal and did a mini boil with some cascade and simcoe hops for good measure. Fermented with US05 and dry hopped with cascade and simcoe.

Wort out of the cube tasted like unfermented wort, but had a character to it that I can't say I've experienced before (not bad, just different).

Force carbed via my usual method and the resultant beer is excellent. Dry, with a good amount of body and hop character a good spring session beer.

I don't think I can ageing has made it any better (from memory it is very similar to the last cube I fermented around 8 months prior), but there have been no detrimental effects from leaving for 18 months.

JD

I have just kegged a cube of an ESB clone which was 18months old. Tasted the same as the 4 other cubes I have fermented over the last 18 months.

Also just checked back through my records, and have had a cube of a dark lager which sat there for 3 years without any noticable loss of anything.

Latest posts

Back