oldest cube

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

barls

causer of chaos and mayhem
Reaction score
just found this one and decided i should see how it goes.
1d8437f0-a9d9-4f81-8e90-f982dd2de7a9_zps171266ec.jpg
still sucked in and smelling malty when opened.
i do know there are still 3 cubes from my wedding brew day floating around somewhere which would be older.
might see if i can track one down

barls said:
i do know there are still 3 cubes from my wedding brew day floating around somewhere which would be older.
*cough cough*

bring the resulting beverage to the next ISB meet up mate :)

barls said:
Wow, good job you found that and deactivated it mate. You had best find the other three cubes ASAP and deal with them in case they start to spontaneously ferment in the cubes.

Remember cubes aren’t pressure tested, aren’t you concerned that leaving them full of unfermented wort like that is asking for trouble?

Just having a friendly dig. :huh:

There's a huge difference between positive and negative pressure as there is also a huge difference between filling a cube with liquid and storing as it was designed to do and pressurising it, as it was not designed to be a pressure vessel.
There is no more pressure in there than a bottle of commercially produced water.
Also it was 100% sterile in there otherwise it would have swollen and it would have been disposed of.
Now here's a link for the latest small keg buy which are designed to be a pressure vessel.
http://aussiehomebrewer.com/topic/77766-keg-bulk-buy/

Does anyone know if "aging" cubes imparts anything flavour wise on the final beer?

barls said:
There's a huge difference between positive and negative pressure as there is also a huge difference between filling a cube with liquid and storing as it was designed to do and pressurising it, as it was not designed to be a pressure vessel.
There is no more pressure in there than a bottle of commercially produced water.
Also it was 100% sterile in there otherwise it would have swollen and it would have been disposed of.
Now here's a link for the latest small keg buy which are designed to be a pressure vessel.
http://aussiehomebre...6-keg-bulk-buy/
You do seem to still be missing my point though, the point is a cube of unfermented wort can spontaneously ferment and swell up just the same as a primed cube of real ale.

So if you leave unfermented wort in a sealed cube and forget about it as you did and then given your theory that cubes will explode violently under pressure, don’t you think it’s dangerous to leave them laying around for so long unattended or do you check them daily to ensure they are OK?

No offence, but again asking a friendly question.

Who said that it was unattended? It's been moved several times as they sit next to my grain storage. Also I've only ever had one cube swell and that was from my own stupidity.
If it hasn't started to swell in the first couple of months its not going to suddenly start 2 years down the track if the seal is just as good.
Look at the tetra packs of juice, it's the same principle, it's sterile when it went in and with no leaks and fully sealed. Same principle.
What's the use by dates on the tetra packs???? generally a couple of years, right?
As I said before, two completely different principles what we are talking about. It's like comparing a motorbike to an aircraft,

Only in the pile of cubes in the spare bathroom, black dog.

Just teasing a little about the irony of you using the old UK homebrew real ale method of using plastic cubes under pressure for conditioning, and yet happy to seal unfermented wort in a cube which could potentially swell far more than a primed cube of ale.

It was meant in good humour. :)

All right fellas. Time to settle down, please.

I understand the feelings expressed so far in this thread and in some reports. I've hidden (not deleted) some posts for the time being until the mod/admin team sorts out how to respond, and to keep the thread on topic of "oldest cube", rather than on moderating or other behaviour etc etc

barls said:
Who said that it was unattended? It's been moved several times as they sit next to my grain storage. Also I've only ever had one cube swell and that was from my own stupidity.
If it hasn't started to swell in the first couple of months its not going to suddenly start 2 years down the track if the seal is just as good.
Look at the tetra packs of juice, it's the same principle, it's sterile when it went in and with no leaks and fully sealed. Same principle.
What's the use by dates on the tetra packs???? generally a couple of years, right?
As I said before, two completely different principles what we are talking about. It's like comparing a motorbike to an aircraft,

Only in the pile of cubes in the spare bathroom, black dog.
barls, warra48 has said he will reinstate my hidden posts so this post and yours should make sense again. So back to topic. I agree that if the cube doesn’t swell up in the first couple of months it probably won’t later but aren’t you concerned that one could swell and explode in the first couple of months given that you are so adamant that a cube could explode if primed and used as a cask?

That was the point I was making.

Cheers
Sean

After that amount of time, surely, for it to swell, something would have to be introduced to the cube, therefore it couldnt be airtight and would release pressure rather then explode?

S.E said:
aren’t you concerned that one could swell and explode in the first couple of months given that you are so adamant that a cube could explode if primed and used as a cask?
There is always that risk, but it is one we all take every time we cube a beer. If it explodes it is unlikely to do the same damage as an exploding bottle as the seams are more likely to split and leak your beer all over the floor rather than send shards of glass flying across the room.

I think the concern around deliberately pressurising a cube is that they aren't designed to take that kind of pressure. They may expand and end up under pressure, but that isn't what we're trying to achieve. Also, if most people see an cube starting to swell they generally release the pressure and ferment and hope for the best or ditch it.

JD

Kris.C said:
After that amount of time, surely, for it to swell, something would have to be introduced to the cube, therefore it couldnt be airtight and would release pressure rather then explode?
Well not really wort cubes can get infected before they are sealed and they swell up. I’ve never heard of one exploding though. Barls believes a cube will explode with devastating consequences so I don’t understand why he is happy to leave them unattended in his house.

With S.E.'s consent, I've edited all the posts in this thread to remove all content not directly on topic.

Only one small post remains hidden, but it only contains a comment about Moderating.

Let's call this issue concluded, and get back to brewing and it's discussions.

JDW81 said:
There is always that risk, but it is one we all take every time we cube a beer. If it explodes it is unlikely to do the same damage as an exploding bottle as the seams are more likely to split and leak your beer all over the floor rather than send shards of glass flying across the room.

I think the concern around deliberately pressurising a cube is that they aren't designed to take that kind of pressure. They may expand and end up under pressure, but that isn't what we're trying to achieve. Also, if most people see an cube starting to swell they generally release the pressure and ferment and hope for the best or ditch it.

JD
That was my point exactly in another thread, using cubes as real ale casks is safer than bottling in glass.

I use the cubes for no chill and for cask beer, but I did read just the other day that in America it is advised that any hot liquids being put into the cubes should not exceed 71 degrees C, I initially thought this to be in relation to toxins being leached into the hot liquor from the plastic, but apparently it was referring to getting a safe seal.
Presumably from the pressure of the vacuum as the liquor cools.

Back