Oldest Cube

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
kinda, also had a pub crawl. still have a bottle of kaboobys 100% brett version as well.

I did a cube that was 9 months old the other day. It was possibly my most popular beer ever. The keg was drunk in 5 hours during a party. There were 3 other kegs on too.

The wort was crystal clear, and the beer was as good, if not better, than the first cube I made 9 months earlier (same batch)

I think there is something good that happens in cube aging.

PS: I once gave swmbo a FWK for xmas :)

I did a double batch of Baltic porter, where I left the second cube sitting for about 18 months before fermenting. Ended up giving it an 'Eising' and the resultant beer was rich and smooth, full of dark fruit and port that I didn't get from the first half 18 months earlier. Hard to say it was the cube aging, was most probably the extra post fermentation conditioning, but it was a very memorable beer.

and then cube hopped with galaxy, would be so good if there is some amarillo in there as well. I will be very surprised if this doesn't turn out well, it smelt so fresh.
This would be my main concern with it. Not the galaxy per se (although I have heard some negative reports about how galaxy hops age), but the fact that there was significant hop matter in the cube for that long. Might end up tasting a bit vegetal as a result. Only one way to find out though! :beerbang:

Cheers,
tallie

That was my main concern. They are whole hop flowers so hopefully that will give it fighting chance.

At the end of the day it was an experimnent, and i wasn't going to throw away a cube of wort that seems to have been fine! Worst case scenario is that i'll make beer:)

This would be my main concern with it. Not the galaxy per se (although I have heard some negative reports about how galaxy hops age), but the fact that there was significant hop matter in the cube for that long. Might end up tasting a bit vegetal as a result. Only one way to find out though! :beerbang:

Cheers,
tallie

kegged this arvo, think its going to be a winner

Oldest Cube

I know the guy, he lives over the coast.

imagesCA5QRCEW.jpg

Just a little possum really.

Latest posts

Back