Oldest Cube

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ekul

Reaction score
So the other day my sister brought home this cube of wort that i had gifted her for christmas 2010. It had sat in a cool room in her mates place for the entire time. It didn't seem to have any air in it at all, not even a bubble, so i decided to put some yeast on it this arvo to see what would happen.

If it was made at christmas then this makes this cube at least a year and three months old. It was probably made a month before christmass though, as i made shit load of beer for that christmas. When i opened it it smelt like i had cubed it last week, and pouring it into the fermenter it was probably the clearest wort thats ever gone into one of my fermenters! Can't remember the recipe but it smelt like ale malt, munich II and some casacde and then cube hopped with galaxy, would be so good if there is some amarillo in there as well. I will be very surprised if this doesn't turn out well, it smelt so fresh.

Anyone else had an older cube :)

nice! how long are the commercial fwk good for? at least a year. maybe read up the symptoms for botulism, just in case.

You gifted your sister a cube of wort for Christmas? :lol: That belongs in the thread "You know you are a serious brewer if......"

i went to a brew day at Potters Brewery ages ago, and took home a cube of Oktoberfest.

It sat in my garage for a year before i got around to it. no cool rooms...... im talking aussie NSW garage.... 10 to 45 deg variations.

Feremnted it and it was one of the best beers i have .... fermented :p

It was still very bright and hoppy, i was amazed.

cheers

I fermented a FWK that was 18 months old and my face went numb, then I stopped breathing because my lungs shut down.

As I recall it was a great beer, except for the ambulance and the paralysis.

Pretty sure craftbrewer puts 2 years on their cubes as the best before.

Cheers

Sorry if to far OT ekul - and in quick response, no not that old here!

But does any one think that cube aging is actually beneficial to the brew?

The rig I just sold, god bless her heart, I would pull 4 cubes on brew day... I can ferment it all at once in 2x 30 and a 60L but in interest of keeping the taps with variety i would not do it like that.... blah blah..

Regardless, I would often brew, cube after cube of the same batch, temp controlled and with fresh yeast, and have found after years in this routine that, the older the cube [Oldest ever being about 10 months] - the beer would always come out better.. almost like keg aged/bottle conditioned??

Grain of salt or whatever but this has been my experience, not thoughts.

It sat in my garage for a year before i got around to it. no cool rooms...... im talking aussie NSW garage.... 10 to 45 deg variations.

Similar with a NC cube of mine, 18months in a small hot shed. All good in the resultant beer!

i still have one from 2009 so almost 3 years now. planning on fermenting it soon.

the oldest i fermented was the other cube i had from the same brew day. it was pretty good and nice english amber

the oldest i fermented was the other cube i had from the same brew day. it was pretty good and nice english amber

Wow, thanks for the full detail, thus relaying understanding for us, you have displayed in the above reply! :p ;)

How old was the 'other' cube you actually fermented Barls?

Funny you should mention that, as when i was pouring the cube into the fermenter i was really thinking that it smelt like one of my better brews. It smelt really crisp and defined. Maybe the extra time allows for bad parts of the brew to fall out of suspension?

Thanks for the replies everyone, seems to me that my cube isn't that old after all and should be fine. It will be interesting to see how my brewing has changed over that period of time.

Sorry if to far OT ekul - and in quick response, no not that old here!

But does any one think that cube aging is actually beneficial to the brew?

a wedding brew day? now that should be in the "your not a real brewer untill!" I cant get permission to brew on my days off let alone my wedding day :p or maybe you mean it was a brew day to supply beer for the wedding? that would be different but not as cool lol

Funny you should mention that, as when i was pouring the cube into the fermenter i was really thinking that it smelt like one of my better brews. It smelt really crisp and defined. Maybe the extra time allows for bad parts of the brew to fall out of suspension

I would love to know if others who have brewed 'Aged' cubes think there is a benefit too?

Please report back ekul, with your own results!

Also, porkspin your self, as you nabbed me the other day you.. C... Carry on.

:icon_cheers:

Edit: Will start a new thread.

So the king of pork finally got spun eh? :)

I would love to know if others who have brewed 'Aged' cubes think there is a benefit too?

Please report back ekul, with your own results!

Also, porkspin your self, as you nabbed me the other day you.. C... Carry on.

:icon_cheers:

Edit: Will start a new thread.

Once I waited 2 days before pitching the yeast...

Wow, thanks for the full detail, thus relaying understanding for us, you have displayed in the above reply! :p ;)

How old was the 'other' cube you actually fermented Barls?
it was about 6 months ago.
so does that give you an idea. tasted great

as for brewing on the wedding day not even im that game it was the day before.
you still have on as well josh.

Back