Old World Russian Imperial Stout

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mstrelan

Reaction score
I'm planning to brew #70 Old World Russian Imperial Stout from the DIY Dog recipe book and have a few questions.
  1. What exactly is Dark Crystal 350? Darkest crystal I can find is 220-260 EBC. Should I use Special B at around 300 EBC?
  2. Where can I get Herkules hops, or what should I sub it with? I've read perhaps Hallertau, Tradition or Warrior.
  3. Any suggestions for hop schedule timings? 60/30/0? 60/30/5? Something else?
  4. The ABV calculation doesn't seem to add up. 1.075 to 1.014 gives 8.0% to 8.5% depending on which calculator you use, but the recipe and advertised ABV is 9.5%. Since 1.075 is right at the bottom end for an Imperial Stout should I try boost that or just run with it?
Recipe attached.

View attachment 70-Old-World-Russian-Imperial-Stout.pdf

Caraaroma is 350
I'd play with 60, 20 then near the end for the hops.
As for the ABV, no idea/

Dark crystal would probably be a Simpsons grain given they are UK brewery. I find matching the malt to the country of origin gives best results. But Simpsons is only 200-230.
Sub with any hops it's a RIS so you want IBU'S not flavour. I usually go 60, 30 on a stout maybe a 10 as brew dogs like hops
Boost the base malt to hit 9.5% but watch the yeast selection. American Ale may not go to 9% try it and see how it goes.

64 is for the fermentability of the wort.
low temp gives good fermentability.

Back