Old Speckled Hen

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gout

Bentleigh Brau Haus
Reaction score
is this a "good" english ale, although i gather its old and the clear bottle dont help, but is this a good example of a real english ale? (having never had one)

I find it interesting, not sure if its as good as i expected but much much better than aussie mega swill

:chug: ... all gone

Gout said:
is this a "good" english ale, although i gather its old and the clear bottle dont help, but is this a good example of a real english ale? (having never had one)

I find it interesting, not sure if its as good as i expected but much much better than aussie mega swill

:chug: ... all gone
When it's in its cask conditioned form and in top condition it's a passably decent one. Most of the time it's pretty ordinary, particularly since Greene King bought and closed Morlands and moved production from Abingdon to St Edmund's Bury.

I agree. It was a really nice beer back in the mid-90's.
It used a pretty unique yeast which I managed to culture and use.

I last had it draught in London in 2000 and it was pretty ordinary. I haven't had it in bottle here since that time and I don't want to, unless GK have got their act together.

I tried it at a pub in Brisbane not that long ago and it was sickly sweet and the nitrogen used to gas it ruined any malt flavours. I won't be rushing to try it again in Australia.

Tried this a few months ago, purchased a six pack. Was not that impressed. Can't remember where I read this, maybe the Oxford Beer database, but the brewers have changed the recipe (read cheap mass production).

Morland shut in 2000 after being taken over by Greene King, and the brand is now being brewed by the latter in Bury St Edmunds.

oxford beer database old sp hen

quote is from the link, quote by Des de Moor

Back